Potential new computer - Sherwood Wisdom 3 - What is your opinion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coco240

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Uwatec Aladin Air has died after 17 years. I am looking to replace it. One of my choice is the Sherwood Wisdom 3. I like console concept meaning no pairing/signal failure problem relating to the transmitter. I also like the large number ( being 50 my reading start to be a challenge). I am hesitating between the Suunto Cobra 3 and the Wisdom 3. I cannot find to many reviews.

Question 1: Do you like it and is it reliable?

Question 2: How is the algorithm versus the over conservative always in deco Suunto?

you posted in the Sherwood subforum which means we aren't supposed to give alternative manufacturers options.

The Wisdom 3 uses DSAT algorithm which is what the PADI tables were based on. It is a very old rather dated algorithm that is very liberal especially for repetitive dives with quick SITs.

You don't find many reviews because these types of computers are very expensive for the limited amount of options they give a diver. Review whether you really need AI and what you gain from it, the dive time remaining notifications are somewhat helpful, but shouldn't be part of your dive plan, if you're doing ocean dives you should know your SAC, you should know your planned depth, and you can calculate your approximate dive time based on these numbers, it's nice to track your current sac rate, but that's pretty useless in the grand scheme of things. Sherwood has user replaceable batteries, most Suunto's do not, so that is a perk.

Frankly I'd do one of two things, I'm in the Sherwood forum, but they don't actually make their computers and certainly aren't known for them, so I'll break the rules for a bit.

Consider a Shearwater Petrel, it's a vastly superior computer, it is made in Canada so you are supporting local business, and will also likely get it cheaper than any of the other computers since your currency exchange rate shat the bed recently.

Consider a wrist watch style computer if you are travelling, Sherwood Amphos, Oceanic Geo 2.0, Oceanic Atom 3.1 etc. Will be more functional with mixed gas if you move that route later, less likely to get broken on a dive boat if a tank gets pushed on it, and you can wear it instead of your normal watch while on trips.

The Amphos Air, or Atom 3.1 you are a bit more expensive and still get AI though wireless, but Oceanic recently redid their transmitters and they are much more reliable than they used to be, or save some money and get them without the transmitters and realize they don't actually do much of anything. Console computers are nice in theory, but they are big, heavy, clunky to use, and unless clipped off can cause some wicked damage to the environment, overall just not a great option. The computers above *no direct experience with Amphos, just listed it to be nice in the Sherwood forum*, are all much more versatile than a console computer, and easier to use with nice side push buttons

If your interested in the Sherwood Wisdom 3, I have one for sale. It's the white model with an integrated compass. I've used it for one season; it's in perfect condition (few minor scuffs on protective cover). New, it sells for $825. I'm selling for $625. If you email me, I'll send some photos.

Ed
eweingarden@hotmail.com

TLDR: No to Wisdom 3, yes to Shearwater Petrel 2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom