So...How was it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jerseybeachdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This was my first expo. I have attended the Jersey Wreck Divers Flea Market several time in Toms River, New Jersey, but this was my first expo.

I found it to be overwhelming at first. The shear number of booths and the wide diversity of diving related enterprizes was impressive.

The lectures were given by members of the community who held not only knowledge of thier subject but also a true passion of thier subject.

I attended the expo with two of my children, a sixtreen year old, (my dive buddy) and my ten year old. Both found the expo enjoyable and are looking to return next year.

Most of the posts are still running under "who's going to BTS" thread.

This was my third year. I think it takes a couple of times to absorb all the atmosphere. Things are constantly changing every year.

The Film Festival was truly amazing. We see people schlepping around the show and then see them on stage for awards, truly giants in diving. Dr. Sylvia Earle is an amazing woman, I enjoy her conservation speech, David Doubilet's still presentation, Wyland's art contributions, film awards,etc. My wife, a non-diver, was amazed at David's work.

My first show three years ago was working with Ocean Pals. This is the real basis for BTS. The Children's Cancer Hospital gets the funds raised by this show. I would encourage you to volunteer one year. It is a very worthwhile and satisfying weekend.

On the way back home, my dive buddy and I decided that next year we'll try to jump in to a few of the seminars and try to learn something (rather than loading up on stuff! although reading material for me is huge!!!)

We also decided that for the "floor cruising" part of the trip, we definately like Sunday better...

I have a great time every year.

You definitely need to hit some of the seminars. I sat through a discussion on Helium by Tim O'Leary and another on PO2 by Chris Laughrey. I learned some important information on both. These were both on Friday night (Tech Night).

Saturday, I sat in on Jill Heinreth's seminar on rebreather basics. Another excellent class.

You get a chance to talk to industry leaders, some in person. Susan Long from DUI is a great woman to chat with, as was Jill, Tim and Chris.

As Pir8 said, I always have a good time when I go.

Back
Top Bottom