The Blue Wild Expo 2009!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dilligaf

Registered
Reaction score
It was so much fun, we're doing it again...The Blue Wild thing! It's on February 7 and 8, 2009, Saturday/Sunday, at the IGFA Museum.

This year will be bigger, better, badder than ever before!! We have something for every ocean enthusiast -- whether you're into fishing, spearfishing, freediving, sailing, underwater photography, cooking fish, eating fish, marine art, shark wrangling, or some combination of the above.

Speakers this year: Steve Callahan (best selling author of "Adrift"), Pipin Ferreras, Manny Puig, Terry Maas, Art Pinder, Dan MacMahon, Kirk Krack, Bouncer Smith, Dimitris Kollias from Greece, Ray Powell from Australia, and lots more. To see the speakers/agenda and to sign up, go to website. The Blue Wild Spearfishing Seminar and Expo. We have many Exhibitors who will give Product Demos including Jay and Julie Riffe, Mark Laboccetta, Roger Yazbeck, and more.

Besides outstanding speakers, we have some new things -- a Friday Evening Kick Off Party at the IGFA Fountain with BBQ/Birthday Cake and lots of food, beer, music, festivities, celebrities, etc. This year's Expo also features lots of interesting Hands-On Workshops, and also, a huge Raffle at the end of each day with over $30K of prizes! For example, we have three $1,000 Diver's Direct prizes, three beautiful Wong custom spearguns, and much more.

Thanks to our major sponsors: Divers Direct, Flanigan's, Wong Spearguns, Presidente Beer, Pelagic Gear, Coca-Cola, The Deep Quest, and Marriott Courtyard.

For out-of-towners, the Marriott Courtyard next door to IGFA is offering a great winter rate of $169/night. They have a free shuttle to/from the Ft. Lauderdale airport. The following Thursday is the first day of the Miami Boat Show, so out-of-towners can catch the Expo, go on a dive trip, and see the Boat Show!

See you there!

Attachments

• callahan8.jpg
    callahan8.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 41
  • pipin8.jpg
    pipin8.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Since first announced many speakers have been added, lots of exhibiters signed on and the giant raffle has swollen to huge proportions!

More speakers:

Joseba Kerejeta: World Champ, winning the 2008 Freedive Spearfishing Championship in Isla Margarita, Venezuela.

Terry Lentz: Terry is the only American to have won a Worlds Championship. He
also received Underwater Athlete of the Year in 1959.

Michael C. Barnette: Michael is the founder/director of the Association of Underwater Explorers (AUE: ASSOCIATION OF UNDERWATER EXPLORERS), a coalition of divers dedicated to
the research & exploration of shipwrecks. He's dove the Monitor, Andrea Doria, and more and has published two books on Florida shipwrecks.

Tom Mount: Tom is the Chairman of the Board for IANTD. www.iantd.com. His career includes military, research, and saturation diving. Tom has logged in excess of 11,000 dives including caves, wrecks, and dives deeper than 200 ft. Tom developed standards and training programs for technical and rebreather diving and is one of the most all around experienced divers in the world.

Dave Earp: Dave was a commercial lobsterman for over ten years. He is also an accomplished tech diver and one of the first divers to be Trimix certified in the state of Florida. He brings his vast lobstering experience to help explain effective catching and handling techniques. He will also share a wealth of information regarding a typical lobster’s life and some of their mysterious habits: what they consume, how they reproduce, where they migrate.

Dr. Daryl Wong: Daryl is a dentist from Hawaii and is one of the premier builders of custom-made spearguns used around the world. He is also an accomplished spearo and world record holder, constantly experimenting with different designs and techniques.

Dr. Neal Pollock: Neal is a Research Associate in the Center for Hyperbaric Medicine and Environmental Physiology at Duke University Medical Center. Trained in exercise and environmental physiology, his research interests focus on human health and safety in extreme environments. The lab group is funded to conduct a variety of studies of decompression and diving safety.

And me... Chad Carney: I'm a veteran diving instructor, having trained thousands of scuba divers, instructors, freedivers & spearfishermen since 1977, from beginners to advanced and also technical. A multiple tournament winner & Captain, and write a column in the St Petersburg Times and articles in dive publications.

And of course... Sheri Daye: Sheri is a Freedive Spearfishing National Champ, multiple world record holder, and host of Speargun Hunter on Outdoor Channel. She is producing/hosting this Expo with proceeds to Twin Palms Center (Boca Raton Society for the Disabled).

The exhibitors/ sponsors now include: Zeagle, Mares, DAN, Bass Pro Shops, AB Biller, Armor Bags, E-Searider, ScubaBoard and so many more!

Chad

Last edited:
This is going to be great. Last week I booked my room and airline tickets plus paid my entry. This is my first year to go but I am looking forward to what I can learn. I know that much of the spearfishing is different from what we do on the rigs here in Texas but I am sure I will pick up a few things. Plus get to met new friends and maybe win a few raffle prizes.

Bump...

Hope to see many of you stop by and check out the show!

Go to the shows website and check out the list of guest speakers - it's incredible!!!

I will be manning the Zeagle booth, so please stop by and say hello!!!

Scott

This is the greatest thing that has ever happened! How do you get into this expo? I would be soooooooooo stoked to go!

Small admission! I jsut looked and its like 75-85 bucks! Im in college! lol Do you think if me and my buddy show up on sunday, somebody would let us use their pass after they leave the expo? How do the passes work? I know that works for the surf expo sometimes.

Small admission! I jsut looked and its like 75-85 bucks! Im in college! lol Do you think if me and my buddy show up on sunday, somebody would let us use their pass after they leave the expo? How do the passes work? I know that works for the surf expo sometimes.

No you cannot use someone else's pass! You check in at the door by name, another person's pass will do you no good.

Aquaholic I understand you are young and sometimes young people think the way you do, but sneaking in to the event is not cool!

This event is held to benefit a charity! The event producer, Sheri Daye, works countless hours for free and lays out nearly $50,000 of her own money to put the event on. In other words, she could take a big personal loss if the event fails and if the event is a big success, she will not make a penny for herself! How many people would take this kind of risk?

And Aquaholic, I don't mean this in a mean way, but for God's sake, be a man and pay your own way! I know that sounds mean, but you will understand latter in life.

Oh hey one last thing. Security is being provided by members of American Top Team.

I understand what you are saying, but....

When you look at the number of seminars offered, $75 dollars is really inexpensive.

If you are interested in spearfishing, there is no where else in the world that you can get advice, tips, and first hand knowledge from some of the top people in the field for a low price like that.

If you can't swing it this year, you can't swing it...there is always the next one!!

Aw i didnt mean to cheat anyone. I just know most expos are for buisnesses to see new products and stuff and you can only get into if you know people so a lot of time us "regular people" can only see the event if we get in this way. Ive never done it but a lot of my friends have and a lot of the time its just the only way we can experience that kind of thing.

I didnt really know a lot about the Blue Wild Expo and I wouldnt want to cheat out any particular person or especially a charity I just literally dont have $75 most of the time! I see where you guys are comin from and I know what u mean. For this kind of event I'll just wait till a year where Ive got the money.

But hey! Thats why I asked!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom