Dema show???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I want to ask the view of my fellow divers and Scubaboard members. I attended the DEMA show two years ago as an exhibitor, it did "OK" for my company. I am considering attending this year at Orlando, however it seems that virtually EVERY major manuf. has withdrawn from attending.

My question is simple, Is DEMA relevant?

Please be open and honest.

Best,

Chris

Well, a while ago lots of sales were done through DEMA. Now most retailers buy their product through the web. DEMA has become a place to see new products and network with a little sales included. It's a great show to meet those in the industry such as your rep's and establish new acounts. I made some great connections. Hopefully I'll be there next year. Hope that helps.

I want to ask the view of my fellow divers and Scubaboard members. I attended the DEMA show two years ago as an exhibitor, it did "OK" for my company. I am considering attending this year at Orlando, however it seems that virtually EVERY major manuf. has withdrawn from attending.

Best,

Chris

Well, I don't know if DEMA is relevant, but I do know that this year, their show is not likely to be very interesting. In this tough economy, there will be fewer major manufacturers as exhibitors, fewer dealers to see the exhibits, and fewer innovative new products for those that are there to see.

I have been in the business for only ten years, but I have yet to see anything that DEMA does that helps me as a dealer and that helps the industry. Now, I am sure that they do some things that I don't see, but I don't see them and therefore couldn't possibly understand the value of something I can't see.

Oh well.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Spend your $15000. From everyone I have heard from so far, there are a few big names not going DUI OCEANIC Hollis Aeris so far. You might as well go, everyone will be coming to see you and OMS:)

Spend your $15000. From everyone I have heard from so far, there are a few big names not going DUI OCEANIC Hollis Aeris so far. You might as well go, everyone will be coming to see you and OMS:)

LOL.....AWESOME!!!

I like the show, its an excuse to get away from the shop, the woman, my employees need the break from me :wink: , Meet up with some people I harass all the time on the phone, and party. I go to some seminars, check out new products....and now its in Orlando again, might try to sneak out for some dives......

Best,

Chris

Chris: The DEMA show has become Travel, Training and Trinkets, with some parties and back slapping. Save your money.

Wow.

I knew that DUI wasn't going to attend this year, but where did the info about the Oceanic compaines come from??

We will still be there, regardless.

It will be interesting to see who else drops out. I can totally see the west coast companies deciding to do the "every other year" thing and just do Vegas...

Chris: The DEMA show has become Travel, Training and Trinkets, with some parties and back slapping. Save your money.

boy... that's a summary easily describes what I've heard a lot of time from folks....

I knew that DUI wasn't going to attend this year, but where did the info about the Oceanic compaines come from??

We will still be there, regardless.

Aren't Oceanic, Hollis, and Aeris essentially all the same company anyway?

I have never been to DEMA and have made up my mind that I never will. To me as an independent instructor it is not worth it. I could get a buyers letter from one of the shops I work with but big deal. I can get the same deal from the shop and not have to pay airfare. It's not just DEMA anymore. I have talked to many ops and some smaller manufacturers over the last few months as the SEI Internet rep and due to the economy and rising costs of attending larger shows such as BTS and OWU there are some major cutbacks. Also some of the larger shows are kinda let everybody and his brother show up.

Last weekend I attended a regional show in Columbus Ohio that drew a nice crowd. Of divers. Scubafest was alot of fun and was an intimate type deal where you could really speak with people. Dive Rite was there, as was the local DUI/Cressi/Pelican rep. I personally saw him measuring divers all day sat and sunday for custom suits. A number of shops did very well on sales of smaller items, books, and most likely classes. Myself and Tom Leaird were representing SEI. We were the only agency with a booth and we did very well.

I know what a booth at BTS and OWU costs. I also know the BS you go thru to get a power outlet, table, or a few extra chairs. Gotta feed the unions. I used to run into the same crap doing rock and roll shows. I also know that the cost for a booth and space at Scubafest was a 1/10th or so of the others. Until things turn around why don't guys like you Chris, and Scott, and all the others check into doing some of these venues. Less cost, don't need to haul around as much stuff, and you will talk to divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom