Announcing The Blue Wild 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dilligaf

Registered
Reaction score
The Blue Wild 2011 -- Dive and Marine Art Expo

Announcing the Show’s 5th Anniversary

Ft. Lauderdale Beach, FL, February 21, 2011 -- (PR.com) -- The Blue Wild, The Blue Wild Ocean Adventure Expo, announced today the dates, speakers, and special 5th anniversary plans. The Expo will feature the top names in freediving, scuba diving, underwater videography and photography, spearfishing, marine artwork, and exhibitors from around the world!

The Expo will be held at the Broward County Convention Center on May 28th and 29th. “We chose Memorial Day weekend as we have so many exciting activities surrounding this year’s event,” said event producer Sheri Daye. “A three day weekend lets out-of-towners enjoy an extra day on Ft. Lauderdale Beach, or guests may also want to participate in a Spearfishing Tournament that is being put on by a local club.”

The South Florida Freedivers “Invitational Spearfishing Tournament” will be held on Monday, May 30th. The tournament is open to all -- freedivers and scuba divers, amateurs and professionals. Proceeds will go to the Blue Wild’s favorite charity – Twin Palms Center for the Disabled.

“We wanted to take advantage of having top spearos from around the world here for The Blue Wild and put on the baddest, funnest tournament of all time!” exclaimed the Club President, Santiago Alvarez. “We’ve got a lot of fun planned around the weigh-in, including our picnic and social, perfect for the whole family. We’ll finish off the weekend with a bang!”

This year’s Expo will have an international flavor as divers, speakers, and guests from around the world attend. “Diving has no borders, as we all share that common bond with the ocean,” stated Sheri Daye. “The Expo has been so successful because of the atmosphere -- created by each and every diver at the event, sharing what we love to do.”

As always, the Expo has the who’s who in diving attending and speaking at the event. Some of this year’s top speakers include:

Stan Waterman – Award-winning Cinematographer, Producer, Author
William Trubridge – Unassisted Freedive World Record Holder, Instructor
Manny Puig – Shark Wrangler, Swamp Explorer, Sculptor
Dr. Terry Maas – Spearfishing Champion, Videographer, Inventor
Martin Stepanek – Multiple World Record Holder, Freediving Instructor
Carey Chen – World Renowned Marine Artist, Conservationist

A giant raffle will be held each day promising the chance to win prizes worth hundreds of dollars. Admission to this year’s Expo is only $15. “We wanted to do something special for the 5th anniversary, get everyone in attendance, and thank everyone that has made us successful,” said Dave Earp, the Expo’s Floor Manager. “We never want to be the same old Expo, and this Expo will be the best yet!”

For information about the Expo, see The Blue Wild Ocean Adventure Expo
For information about the Tournament, see Home South Florida Freedivers

Last year, I had a lot of fun being the auctioneer at the Blue Wild. It offered some great values on highly desired items, not to mention, it raised cash for charity.

It was so successful; we have decided to do it again and we have already selected several items for the auction –

1) A Daryl Wong speargun
2) Artwork by Carey Chen
3) DAN First Aid Backpack

We expect to add one or two more items as we have so many fantastic sponsors and vendors that are constantly “stepping up to the plate”… making The Blue Wild the “Greatest Dive Show on Earth!”

Attachments

• DANO2BP.jpg
    DANO2BP.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 230
Cool, Looking forward to another great show!!!!

Hi dilligaf,
I joined this forum yesterday and excited for dive and marine art expo.
Keep updating us with the event and do upload some pictures of this show.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi dilligaf,
I joined this forum yesterday and excited for dive and marine art expo.
Keep updating us with the event and do upload some pictures of this show.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Hey Bretes - We hope to see you there. The Expo is always a blast and there is so much "electricity" in air. I can't wait for it to get started.

For sure, I will post pictures and hey... welcome to the forum!:cool2:

Flanigan’s Seafood Bar and Grill is stepping up and helping us create more excitement for The Blue Wild Raffle. The first 15 people that buy $100 (purchased all at the same time) in raffle tickets will receive a $20 Flanigan’s gift card. Thank you Flanigan’s!:cool2:

We will also be running various promotions and giveaways throughout the day… keeping things fun and lots of lucky winners!

Looking forward to heading up tomorrow and the seeing what he hunters bring in on Monday.

For me the expo was pretty lame... Diversify your booths... 70% were spearfishing booths all selling the same thing. 30% freediving, arts&crafts, Agency booths.. 15.00entry fee, 6.00 for parking 20.00 for fuel to get there was a complete waste of money, I had seen everything there was to see in 25min. You call it the "Blue Wild" and advertise it here to Scuba divers, when its really a spearfishing and freediving expo. OH yeah, free raffle tickets for DAN members.. BS! I Tried to use them and was told that I would have to stay until 5pm to see the results, and that I couldn't put my info on the back of the tickets to get notified if I won anything. My wife and I got there at 10am Sat, after looking at everything 4x we left by 12pm. What exactly were we supposed to do the other 5hrs? The working womens show down below seemed more entertaining (visually)... I will not waste my time with this show again.

The seminars are the main part of the show, they run about an hour each, I go every year and learn something new. It isn't all about spearfishing. There was an officer from the FWC giving a talk about the marine patrol and what is legal, two USCG rescue swimmers gave a talk on what they see from the air and why it is easier to find a prepared person at night, Terry Maas gave a great lecture on taking underwater videos, watching a marlin spear and eat a bait fish was impressive, then he explains how fast he had to move his camera to capture the images. I could go on and on, Stan Waterman, blue water, white death, Chiefy, catching and finding lobster, Tom Mount from IANTD etc, but the seminars are a main focus of the show. I pretty much spend the day going from seminar to seminar. If you missed them, you missed the show. Everything you described is time killer between the seminars-and yes spearfishing seminars and equipment are a large part of the show.

Back
Top Bottom