Dive Industry's First JOB FAIR at DEMA Show!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveScoop

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
DiveNewswire WORKS, a new scuba industry job resource presented by DiveNewswire, announces today that the company will be presenting the dive industry’s first-ever interactive JOB FAIR during the upcoming DEMA Trade Show in Las Vegas. The job fair event, which is being presented in conjunction with the DEMA organization, will provide an excellent opportunity to bring together qualified dive professionals with job opportunities around the world.

For more details, CLICK HERE!

DNW-X banner.jpg

DiveNewswire WORKS, a new scuba industry job resource presented by DiveNewswire, announces today that the company will be presenting the dive industry’s first-ever interactive JOB FAIR during the upcoming DEMA Trade Show in Las Vegas. The job fair event, which is being presented in conjunction with the DEMA organization, will provide an excellent opportunity to bring together qualified dive professionals with job opportunities around the world.

For more details, CLICK HERE!

View attachment 196830

I don't want to be guilty of shooting the messenger, but if this is as being presented by DEMA, "organizing" a job fair two weeks before an event is incredibly lame. Strictly window-dressing

I don't want to be guilty of shooting the messenger, but if this is as being presented by DEMA, "organizing" a job fair two weeks before an event is incredibly lame. Strictly window-dressing

Agree, announcing it a few months ago may have allowed more people to plan on attending.

I once had a client who asked indignantly "Why don't you guys ensure that the good ideas are developed earlier in the process?"

It looks like this is something that DiveNewsWire is offering. And whether it was DEMA or someone else, I'm not sure how anyone can fault them for having a good idea a few weeks before the show, and making it happen.

So, Jim and John, in your minds what's an appropriate cut-off date for "new thinking"? Is there a "pencils down" point after which good ideas should be summarily rejected? Or are you suggesting that that they should have announced the idea a few months before they had the idea?

Truly, no good deed goes unpunished.

What you get out of an event is roughly equal to what you put into it.

great ideas are easy

How am I doing coach ??

How are you doing?

Having great ideas can be easy... where most people struggle is distinguishing them from the bad ideas.

Assume for the moment that it just occurred to them last week to promote this idea? Should they have refrained from publicizing the job fair at all in deference to potential attendees who now don't have enough time to plan to travel to the show in Las Vegas from the Philippines ($2000 r/t airfare, $650 hotel, $155 DEMA regstration, ~$300 in meals and other expenses) in order to apply for a job that pays $18,000 a year?

DiveNewswire WORKS: Resort Manager

Or were you thinking of the guy from Honduras - who's airfare would be marginally less expensive than the guy the Phillipines - who is now scrambling to arrange ~$2,000 in travel in order to apply in-person for the Dive Shop Assistant job back home that pays $6,000 a year?

DiveNewswire WORKS: Dive shop assistant

Or - call me crazy - but do you think that POSSIBLY they are smart enough to realize that NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON would specifically travel to DEMA for this particular event? Irrespective of how much time, effort, and money they put into promoting it.

Perhaps - and I'm just thinking out loud here - they are smart enough to realize that the target audience for both the event and the press release is actually limited to those people who were already planning to attend DEMA?

If they were that smart - let's just blue-sky this for a bit - they may also be smart enough to know that the best timing to hit attendees for any conference with information like this is within two-three weeks or so of the date people leave to attend the conference -- which is when most conference attendees really start to plan their own agenda for what they want to look into while attending the conference. Any earlier and people don't really pay attention or forget. So, with attendees leaving for DEMA on the 18th it would seem that the best time to issue such a press release would be... let's see... oh, somewhere between the last week of October and the first week of November.

Now, I've only worked for companies that have handled planning for a few dozen trade shows... a year... every year... for the past 20+ years... so I might be off base here, but given that the purpose of the idea is more than likely limited to generating some interest among those potential employers and employees who were already planning to attend DEMA to stop by booth 1613 while there (that would have been my recommendation to a client) the potential your ideas to produce a positive ROI is exceedingly low, relative to the cost and effort necessary execute them.

If, as you assert, you "get out of an event roughly what you put into" that would mean that attending an event is a break-even proposition at best. If that's the case, why would any company go to the time, effort, and expense to exhibit at a trade show? I would never advise a client to do anything for a trade show - including attending - that doesn't have highly leveraged return. Anything that increases the already significant cost and effort associated with attending that doesn't greatly leverage that spend... is a waste of time and money. Anything that's easy to do, inexpensive to implement, and has potential to drive targeted traffic among people already planning to attend... makes all the sense in the world.

So, which ideas do you think provide that kind of leverage?

- your suggestions, which could cost thousands of dollars and take multiple people several months to execute

or

- issuing a simple, well-timed press release that took one person an hour to write

Last edited:
Well, Maybe. But I have to hire 3 crew in 2 months and this thread is the first I've heard about it.

Well, Maybe. But I have to hire 3 crew in 2 months and this thread is the first I've heard about it.

So the press release is working already!

:d

I personally have gone to DEMA twice in 8 years specifically to job hunt where networking was the key. And both times I left with two good offers to choose from. And yes I ended up working at all 4 of those employers at some point in my career. And yes each time I wore out a pair of Happy Feet pounding the aisles talking to everyone that would talk to me. I even made up business cards with a mini-resume (important highlights) on the back side. And that got me one call back to come by the booth for an interview and was offered the job on the spot.

If you are going to DEMA and you happen to be looking for a job, or know someone who is, or are looking to hire, this is a great venue. I hope it takes off so that it is even more successful next year.

Reactions: RJP
ScubaBoard wasn't the first place this was advertised. Scott not only had to have the idea, but he had to get approvals from various organizations and get his plan into action. It takes time, effort and money. The best part about this idea is that this is the FIRST ONE. You can bet that the man who has made his living on providing press releases will be sure to pimp this out more and more as it grows. Good job, Scott! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Reactions: RJP
I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Don't think I'm not scouting DiveNewswire Works regularly for a Chief Marketing Officer position. (In case anyone from DEMA, PADI, ScubaPro, Johnson Outdoors, or anyone else is listening... feel free to PM me!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom