Suggestions for DEMA organizers for a better show!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had read on another thread on how a lot of members were not really impressed by this last show. Both exhibitors and attendees wanted more from this show. I believe it is time for DEMA to take some time to reevaluate the "guality experience" they are providing for both parties. Just putting on the same type of show is not going to cut it! It will eventually it will lead to fewer exhibitors and attendees. Perhaps another organization will step in. and put life back in to this show! The purpose of this thread is to help DEMA. After all it is the present organization which is responsible for getting us all together, in one place at one particular date.

All though I manage to have recieved positive results from the show. It was not without extreme determination and creative sales approach that I salvaged my experience at this show, as an exhibitor.

Important factors to grade the show on are : Show experience/entertaining,fun etc...(good time, an attempt on not boring)

Effectiveness/productive : Very informative, made effort to bring to the attention of ones
attending, new products for that year. Short cut the guess work for attendees wondering
what is new in the area interested by new or established companies.

Organization: Booth numbers easily seen or displayed. etc...

These are just some categories I quickly thought of perhaps some might add others or elaborate on these.

On the topic of Show experience. I believe DEMA could use a few pointers.

It real simple THINK FUN!!! The rest is easy. Everyone who attends DEMA wants to come away feeling that they had a good experience.
Meaning it was very informative and they had a blast being there!! The FUN PART!

MORE FOOD, MORE DRINKS, and MORE MUSIC. Put some life into this show!!!
The reality the show was very dead. It was missing the "FUN" aspect. Organizers pay attention you need to have new fresh ideas on how to make your show a bit livelier! Get some hip people to run the radio, turn up the music a bit. Loosen up and have fun first, the show will take on a different atmosphere. Their needs to be new fresh ideas on how to get people jazzed up about the next up coming show!!!

Settling for just the same thing the same way is not a good option. That just the easy way out. Make some changes in this area, you have a lot of happy people.

You have a PA system or the Scuba Radio use it to stimulate the crowd. For the whole 4 days of the show, every day make exciting announcements for buyers, instructor or attendees in general to come and get free drinks, food at certain areas of the show, or perhaps in certain booths. Make it an option for booths to provide this if interested. Their are many ways that they can show their appreciation to the attendees at the show. they don't even have to pay for it all!!

Another possible option could be to announce which booths are giving free product. Give the exhibitors a chance to say who they are and what they would like to give away and to whom. In their own words they can liven things up and get a crowd to move. Everyone wins in this type of scenario. It is not stale or boring those receiving the free product are happy and the exhibitors get an influx people that they can now demonstrate their items to. STIMULUS and FUN are two words the DEMA organizers should remember. These factors should be included when putting together their next show. I have way to many ideas to list but I wanted to at least put my two cents in.

I really want DEMA to succeed and put on the greatest show ever next year. That is why I wanted to specifically address this as a constructive way to help next years show. As I said I appreciate the show I just would like to make it better.

Do you guys have any other ideas on how they can improve the show? Lets give them some ideas! There are lot of good minds out there, I believe that we can all complain about what we don't like, lets go further and present some alternatives and good suggestions. After all we are the participants, supporters, and audience of the show!!!

Not in the Scuba field but having a show a week or 2 before the start of the holiday shopping season in a retail environment makes zero sense. Actually it's really stupid. Don't you want your newest baubles out in the stores to compete with everyone else's latest and greatest???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had read on another thread on how a lot of members were not really impressed by this last show. Both exhibitors and attendees wanted more from this show. I believe it is time for DEMA to take some time to reevaluate the "guality experience" they are providing for both parties. Just putting on the same type of show is not going to cut it! It will eventually it will lead to fewer exhibitors and attendees. Perhaps another organization will step in. and put life back in to this show! The purpose of this thread is to help DEMA. After all it is the present organization which is responsible for getting us all together, in one place at one particular date.

All though I manage to have recieved positive results from the show. It was not without extreme determination and creative sales approach that I salvaged my experience at this show, as an exhibitor.

Important factors to grade the show on are : Show experience/entertaining,fun etc...(good time, an attempt on not boring)

Effectiveness/productive : Very informative, made effort to bring to the attention of ones
attending, new products for that year. Short cut the guess work for attendees wondering
what is new in the area interested by new or established companies.

Organization: Booth numbers easily seen or displayed. etc...

These are just some categories I quickly thought of perhaps some might add others or elaborate on these.

On the topic of Show experience. I believe DEMA could use a few pointers.

It real simple THINK FUN!!! The rest is easy. Everyone who attends DEMA wants to come away feeling that they had a good experience.
Meaning it was very informative and they had a blast being there!! The FUN PART!

MORE FOOD, MORE DRINKS, and MORE MUSIC. Put some life into this show!!!
The reality the show was very dead. It was missing the "FUN" aspect. Organizers pay attention you need to have new fresh ideas on how to make your show a bit livelier! Get some hip people to run the radio, turn up the music a bit. Loosen up and have fun first, the show will take on a different atmosphere. Their needs to be new fresh ideas on how to get people jazzed up about the next up coming show!!!

Settling for just the same thing the same way is not a good option. That just the easy way out. Make some changes in this area, you have a lot of happy people.

You have a PA system or the Scuba Radio use it to stimulate the crowd. For the whole 4 days of the show, every day make exciting announcements for buyers, instructor or attendees in general to come and get free drinks, food at certain areas of the show, or perhaps in certain booths. Make it an option for booths to provide this if interested. Their are many ways that they can show their appreciation to the attendees at the show. they don't even have to pay for it all!!

Another possible option could be to announce which booths are giving free product. Give the exhibitors a chance to say who they are and what they would like to give away and to whom. In their own words they can liven things up and get a crowd to move. Everyone wins in this type of scenario. It is not stale or boring those receiving the free product are happy and the exhibitors get an influx people that they can now demonstrate their items to. STIMULUS and FUN are two words the DEMA organizers should remember. These factors should be included when putting together their next show. I have way to many ideas to list but I wanted to at least put my two cents in.

I really want DEMA to succeed and put on the greatest show ever next year. That is why I wanted to specifically address this as a constructive way to help next years show. As I said I appreciate the show I just would like to make it better.

Do you guys have any other ideas on how they can improve the show? Lets give them some ideas! There are lot of good minds out there, I believe that we can all complain about what we don't like, lets go further and present some alternatives and good suggestions. After all we are the participants, supporters, and audience of the show!!!

I think you would do well and enjoy Beneath The Sea. They are your kind of consumer (they already buy your product, as do I), and the show is about having fun. I do far more business there than I do at DEMA.

On Setup day I was stomping around looking to buy a beer. What? No beer for the vendors, even to buy? This is Scuba Diving, fer Chrissakes, not the LDS and Baptist Church tea party. I only attend DEMA anymore because folks look at you all crazy if you don't go. We showed for 25 years straight, missing only 2008. Everyone asked me if we were still in business. I feel I have to go.

The DEMA board has shown that they could care less about your opinion, BTW.

Scrap every DEMA Sponsored Seminar and replace those speakers with people who actually know what they’re talking about. Better yet, get some of us who know what we’re talking about as it applies to the dive industry. The seminars are a joke, yet the rooms are packed with DEMA members trying to figure out how to survive and instead are being given crap information that won’t help them.

I think you would do well and enjoy Beneath The Sea. They are your kind of consumer (they already buy your product, as do I), and the show is about having fun. I do far more business there than I do at DEMA.

On Setup day I was stomping around looking to buy a beer. What? No beer for the vendors, even to buy? This is Scuba Diving, fer Chrissakes, not the LDS and Baptist Church tea party. I only attend DEMA anymore because folks look at you all crazy if you don't go. We showed for 25 years straight, missing only 2008. Everyone asked me if we were still in business. I feel I have to go.

The DEMA board has shown that they could care less about your opinion, BTW.

You are probably correct, if this is the case with that show ( beneath the sea) but remember my main reason for being an exhibitor at this show was primarily to reach store owners/ purchasers not the consumer.

I still feel we can keep an open mind and give these folks at DEMA some of our inputs. However pointless they may seem. I am a strong believer in doing something is better than doing nothing. This topic is important and it could use some fresh ideas. My purpose is to inspire those out there with a desire to help, to chime in and share their thoughts. Yes you are probably right about one persons opinion but if enough people chime in it might get their attention. Creative minds construct and build, lets try and be optimistic. Who knows perhaps DEMA will get the message and make some changes.

Its our responsibility to give them some advice we are the ones at the show! As long as we keep silent it will always remain the same. I just want emphasize constructive ideas, please I always try to put energy towards trying to help this great organization. The easy thing would be to just offer criticism and negativity. That is not my goal. I hope others can join me on this quest.

Over 300 small mfgs, instructors, and store owners tried it a few years ago. They made zero headway. Unless you buy more votes than the old boys have locked up you are pissing in the wind.

You are probably correct, if this is the case with that show ( beneath the sea) but remember my main reason for being an exhibitor at this show was primarily to reach store owners/ purchasers not the consumer.

I still feel we can keep an open mind and give these folks at DEMA some of our inputs. However pointless they may seem. I am a strong believer in doing something is better than doing nothing. This topic is important and it could use some fresh ideas. My purpose is to inspire those out there with a desire to help, to chime in and share their thoughts. Yes you are probably right about one persons opinion but if enough people chime in it might get their attention. Creative minds construct and build, lets try and be optimistic. Who knows perhaps DEMA will get the message and make some changes.

Its our responsibility to give them some advice we are the ones at the show! As long as we keep silent it will always remain the same. I just want emphasize constructive ideas, please I always try to put energy towards trying to help this great organization. The easy thing would be to just offer criticism and negativity. That is not my goal. I hope others can join me on this quest.

I sell to dive shops, and consumers. BTS has the highest concentration of dive store owner attendees in the entire NE attending. I would say that you will meet almost as many dive store owners at BTS as you do at DEMA, they just don't have a blue badge. Store owners who haven't been to DEMA in years will go to BTS, just to see their favorite dive boat, manufacturer, and attend the tech party, rebreather party, and one or 2 of the black tie affairs. The organizers of DEMA might think about attending to see what a dive show should be. Even if you decide not to spring for a booth, it's a great fun show. You should think about it as an attendee.

I sell to dive shops, and consumers. BTS has the highest concentration of dive store owner attendees in the entire NE attending. I would say that you will meet almost as many dive store owners at BTS as you do at DEMA, they just don't have a blue badge. Store owners who haven't been to DEMA in years will go to BTS, just to see their favorite dive boat, manufacturer, and attend the tech party, rebreather party, and one or 2 of the black tie affairs. The organizers of DEMA might think about attending to see what a dive show should be. Even if you decide not to spring for a booth, it's a great fun show. You should think about it as an attendee.

I appreciate the head up on the info about this show. I will have to seriously consider this if possible. At least I have another show option to go to besides DEMA. Thanks

Do you have anything to add as far as suggestions to encourage DEMA organizers to make some bold changes for the 2015 show?

I appreciate the head up on the info about this show. I will have to seriously consider this if possible. At least I have another show option to go to besides DEMA. Thanks

Do you have anything to add as far as suggestions to encourage DEMA organizers to make some bold changes for the 2015 show?

As Jim implied above, I made several and forceful suggestions during 2009 which you can read all about here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/unified-scuba-industry/ Some very heavy hitters in the business were very interested in making changes to the DEMA show, had been for years. Since the BOD at DEMA refused to listen to these upstarts, they made a play for a seat on the board. Since those seats are available to the highest bidder (literally) and populated by fossils in the industry who think the show is the greatest thing since sliced eggs, the plan failed and much bile was expended and much heart was lost in the effort.

I encourage you to make suggestions and have at it. I hope the show fails terribly and like a Phoenix, a better event rises from the ashes. Until then, I will merely complain and continue to attend, because it's better then nothing, but a lot more expensive. I'm sorry I can't be more positive.

It would seem to me that DEMA (professionals only) and BTS (consumers) would have very different goals and objectives. Being the skeptic, the former is scheming on how to take me for all I'm worth, the latter is presenting me with all the tantalizing choices to take me for all I'm worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom