Update on Scubafest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just placed an order for some copies of my book to take with me to Scubafest in Columbus.

In addition, UDM Aquatics is providing the following items for the silent auction/door prizes. Prices listed are the MSRP for each item:

3 (three) Mask, Fin, and Snorkel sets. One with size S/M fins, one with M/L fins, and one with L/XL fins. Full retail value of each set is 144.85 each set
2 (two) copies of the second edition of my book. value – 20.00 each
1 (one) SMB, wet notes, and mini spool package. Full retail value – 77.85 each
1 (one) EEZY CUT Trilobite. value – Full retail value 24.95 each
And the biggie.
HOG D2/Zenith 2nd stage, deco/stage bottle reg set up with 40 inch LP hose, 6 inch HP hose, and 2 inch SPG. – Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price total of all items in the reg set up – $634.75
Total retail value of all items is $1212.10
Hope to see you there!

I also see that my presentation on Ratios and Their Effects on Safety in training will be at 2 PM on Saturday. Don't know what room yet. Please plan on attending this talk. I hope to open some eyes with it and make those who attend think seriously about this matter.

Fins, and gloves, and wet notes, and lights! A big box of goodies just arrived today for me to take to the show. Stop by booth 301 - UDM Aquatic Services for some killer deals on these and other items. As well as a chance to win through the auction/door prize the HOG stage reg set up valued at over 625.00 courtesy of HOG/Edge, UDM Aquatic Services, and myself

I am starting to make a list of items to bring to Scubafest, Usually I bring too much :=). Are there any specific items you'd like to see? Hardware - boltsnaps, drings, slides, buckles, or webbing? I have it all. As well as bungee cord from 1/8 inch to 3/8 inch. I'll be bringing reels, slates, wet notes, and pockets. I will also have killer deals on reef, 3 mil, and 5 mil gloves. Of course there will be Trilobite line cutters. I'll also have some masks and snorkels as well as the HOG Piglet and the new Safety 1000 back up lights. If there is something specific you'd like me to bring please let me know by the end of this week. I start packing on Saturday for the show. I'll also have a very limited number of the new HOG catalogs.

Just finished a 48 slide powerpoint for my presentation on Ratios and their Effects on Training and Safety for ScubaFest Ohio​ next weekend. Along with a 6 page handout. Looking forward to the reaction to this one. I'm scheduled to speak at 2 PM on Saturday. Come out to the show and give a listen.

Loading up for tomorrow. ScubaFest Ohio starts tomorrow evening with a meet and greet. I will be doing my presentation on ratios and their effects on safety and training at 2 PM Saturday. Stop by booth 301 and see some great products from HOG/Edge and Manta Industries. Talk to me about recreational and technical training opportunities. Someone will also be going home with the item in the photos below. How that happens is up to the Scubafest committee. What you see is a HOG D2 with a Zenith Chrome Second Stage and HOG 2 inch Black Face SPG in a stage/deco bottle configuration with 40 inch LP reg hose and 6 inch HP hose. MSRP is right around 625.00 for this reg. I will have all the HOG regs for you to see in my booth as well as a wing and the HOG Sidemount rig. I will be taking orders for all of them this weekend.
10997616_948283381857245_4446024636670239323_n.jpg
1962762_948283528523897_836671638659048756_n.jpg

---------- Post added March 20th, 2015 at 06:55 AM ----------

Scubafest Ohio is finally here! Getting ready to leave for the show in a little while. My presentation on ratios and their effects on safety and training is tomorrow at 2 PM. I am excited about this one. Have gotten good feedback from some I have shown it to and one agency has asked about putting it in their newsletter.

I have never shied away from controversy in the industry.

To my friends, students, customers, and future students - I never will. When I see an issue that affects the safety of divers I will make a point to call it out. To shine a light on it. To start a discussion on it. To do my part to make sure it is not swept under the rug or touted as "well we have always done it this way" and "we have not had that many deaths or injuries as a result of it". That is not acceptable.

If one person dies or gets hurt, that's one too many. When it happens to more than one it's hard to see why profit would be put ahead of changing the rules to try and insure that it does not happen again. This presentation is a topic in the industry today. One that is getting attention and it's about time.

Some are trying to keep the status quo even when faced with a clear need to make some adjustments. I hope that this presentation gets you thinking and talking about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom