Feel the need for a new toy - what to buy at BTS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Excited for BTS this weekend. Got a lil disposable cash to burn - any suggestions for a must have new toy from the vendors?

Maybe they have some of these- Mares Human Underwater Breathing (HUB).

hub.jpg

LOL Andy might just have to drop by although for that I probably need more than a "lil" cash and I am not sure how even I, the master, could get that passed the wife.

Semi closed rebreather system Kiss GEM. Being sold cheap from the trunk of my car. :wink:

I hear the OTS Guardian FFM is awesome...There is even an option to have comms on them. :wink: Booth 210

View attachment 205410

Spent a week with ocean reef Neptune space. Drove me nuts, always fogged on the surface (clear under though) and would free flow of my head dipped even but below horizontal unless super detuned. Left me kind of ffm leery but I still really want a comm system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently bought the Guardian with comms. So far I have logged 11 dives with it. No issues with free flow or fogging at the surface. I love the comms and full face mask diving experience. Hope you get a chance to try out the OTS system for comparison.

Spent a week with ocean reef Neptune space. Drove me nuts, always fogged on the surface (clear under though) and would free flow of my head dipped even but below horizontal unless super detuned. Left me kind of ffm leery but I still really want a comm system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Griffon,

Unfortunately, I hear about these types of experiences with that product often which in turn, turns people off about FFMs and comms, sometimes altogether.

I would urge you to give a Guardian FFM a shot and see the difference! More comfort, no tuning dial you have to bother with, the equalization assembly is much less invasive, the regulator can disconnect from the mask which eliminates the need for a quick disconnect and we are the standard in underwater comms for military, public safety and recreational and various other fields. We actually were providing the military with communications for years before we came out with Guardian in 2008.

With the Guardian, when you draw a breath through the mask : air flows from the reg, through the front air guide in the mask (defogging and cooling the face slightly), and then into the oral nasal.

You should not have any fogging with a Guardian on the surface as long as you are breathing off a tank. Personally, sometimes mine will fog up when I have my reg plugged in the mask and Ambient Breathing Valve open. This is because my face gets hot wearing a 7mm suit and waiting for other divers. BUT -- as soon as I close my ABV (to breathe off my tank) after a couple good breaths it defogs itself and maintains a defogged state as it should.

All our dealers should have "demo" gear, which should be made available for you to "try before you buy".

You can look up a local dealer utilizing our dealer locator here : Dealer Locator | Ocean Technology Systems

If there is anything I can help you out with, be it a FFM or comms please let me know!

Cheers.

-Andy

All our dealers should have "demo" gear, which should be made available for you to "try before you buy".

Please make sure those dealers understand that it is important to sanitize the equalizing nasal block after a demo. I've witnessed instances of them focusing on the reg and skirt while ignoring the rhinovirus-covered nose block.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Back
Top Bottom