Who's going to DEMA 2015 in Orlando? Why are you going? What do you want to see?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, I just got off the phone with two industry insiders who are concerned about possible low attendance at DEMA this year. One even suggested that it might be at %30 of previous years! THIRTY PERCENT!

There's no doubt that low attendance works in my favor. It makes the interwebs look more seductive, er productive and I get a better chance to talk to some of the movers and shakers. Obviously, I'm going. I'm looking to talk to lots of people there and look at lots of new gear. I'm looking forward to seeing old friends, meeting new ones and having a lot of fun.

I'll be there, for a variety of reasons. Will be on the East Coast for business, and am wrapping DEMA into it. Would probably attend anyways, to "say hi, maintain/re-affirm some professional & personal relationships, see what's new, take a look at some of the manufacturers/booths that are using some of my stills/shots, and of course the evening events". What I WON'T be doing is attending any of the "How to Survive, How to Market, Industry Outlook" seminars. And since I'm there, will probably hop down to Jupiter/Juno/WPB and say hi to the Goliath Grouper :) And most importantly say hi to Pete !!!!!

I think that the Web is what killed COMDEX so quickly. It went from the world's largest show to zero in a few years. I even had a press pass (access to all the press releases) and figured out that I could just stay home and get just as much out of it.

I am going, for a number of reasons: a) it is on the east coast, and I can drive down to it; b) it is a chance to renew personal and professional acquaintanceships - live, and in person - as well as put a face and a handshake with a name for the first time; c) I get a lot out of seminars, not all of them, but enough to justify my time; d) I get a considerable benefit from cruising the exhibits, including being able to see / touch gear that I may have only read about on the web, and e) I have a chance to drink champagne (and wish I was richer), at the Anse Chastanet presentation. Of course the primary benefit is to stop by the SB booth and get some more decals. :)

What I WON'T be doing is attending any of the "How to Survive, How to Market, Industry Outlook" seminars.
Please let us know more about why. Have you been to them in the past? Did they not meet your needs? What did they miss?

Please let us know more about why. Have you been to them in the past? Did they not meet your needs? What did they miss?

In a general summation Pete, (and this speaks to other industries' trade shows, as well, that I attend) the overall general "Guerilla Marketing for the New Millennium" seminars, and those that are titled similarly, have just been beaten to death. I'm more inclined to attend something "technical, proprietary or speaks to the economic status or sluggish/slowly growing GDP". I would much rather sit in on a renowned economists lecture (1 hour please) to assemble my own business plan (and I want to clarify that I am NOT a dive shop owner, but am a DM), than "Getting to know your Customer Through Social Media". I'm using these classes loosely and generically. I'm not saying that there isn't a place or purpose for these classes, and there may well be an economic class at this DEMA, I haven't looked, but I'm just speaking as to my thoughts/mentality. The broader stroke falls into/under the bigger corporate world of over-used jargon of "Partnering, Strategic Alliance, Improved Customer Service/Dealer Portal". I say all this probably because I'm sitting on hold with AT&T who just purchased DirecTv, and is/was supposed to make my life"better" by doing so. I've been on hold this whole time trying to find out my old balance, new balance, where's my bill, did my payment post, etc. Now I'm ranting ! But in summation, those are my general thoughts. Again, not poo pooing any upcoming classes/lectures at DEMA, but just providing my thoughts/opinion.

Going to pass this year. Also agree about the marketing seminars being of little or no use. Prefer it when our reps come to the shop and give some personal attention. More time and less distraction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom