Dema 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
DEMA -2007-ORLANDO

Have attended many DEMAs

I enjoyed this DEMA...It was a father & son outing

Met some new friends,
~~Net Doc and others at the booth
~~Rich Murchinson and Krakken at the Pro 5000 event. The meeting was entirely too short
~~Was disappointed I didn't have the opportunity to meet Walter, whom like Krakken we have exchanged e mails for many years.

Was happy and proud that son Dr. Sam IV received his SSI Pro 5000. One of the very few father (1993) son (2007) recipients of the honor. Met several other 2007 recipients that I knew as e mail friends for any many years; Gayle Peterson, Rusty Berry and Jill Heinerth, and a few others I can't recall.

When not walking the floor hung out with the other LA county UW instructors; Bev Morgan, Bill Mac Donald, Glen Egstrom, Zale Parry, Lorraine Bemis Saddler and others.

It was over all to soon..

I have returned to a home on a hill overlooking the Pacific Ocean, Dr SamIV has returned to his family in smokey San Deigo and his position as a Hyperbaric/Diving Doctor at Scripps.

We eagerly look forward to 2008 and the Las Vegas DEMA

Sam Miller

Cool Beans! congrats to your son and to you!!

It was me Dr. Miller. Kraken wasn't there.

Well, I've attended quite a few DEMA shows. This now very sad show has, somehow gone from a marketplace to a seminar, travel, and t-shirts and dive gizmos kind of place.

Those who receive some sort of "award" pat themselves on the back, risking breaking their arms, the new folks, first timers, are happy to go up and down the aisles and collect catalogs and the usual give away stuff.

The original purpose of a Dive Equipment Manufacturers Assoc. is long gone.

So that's where Lorraine Sadler was when I visited (tour not treatment) the Chamber at USC last weekend). I should have guessed.

.........The original purpose of a Dive Equipment Manufacturers Assoc. is long gone.

Open bar hospitality suites, free dinners, front row tickets to the theatre, huge profit margins, aahh the good ole days. I heard the internet is going downhill and out of business soon too. :wink:

I thought the show was great with tons of information and great new products!!

Well, I've attended quite a few DEMA shows. This now very sad show has, somehow gone from a marketplace to a seminar, travel, and t-shirts and dive gizmos kind of place.

Those who receive some sort of "award" pat themselves on the back, risking breaking their arms, the new folks, first timers, are happy to go up and down the aisles and collect catalogs and the usual give away stuff.

The original purpose of a Dive Equipment Manufacturers Assoc. is long gone.

Another "SB join to gripe" entry.:no

I was at the very first DEMA show in Miami and have attended almost all shows since. At first the show was The Diving Equipment Manufacturers Assoc. mainly manufacturers and distributors and SCUBA retailers. Some companies would write 20-25% of their annual volume @ the DEMA show.

Before too long "booking programs" emerged as a way to take up the retailers open to buy $ prior to DEMA. At the same time, the travel and accessory folks began to have a larger presence. Training seminars became more important. Accessory suppliers, dive clothing, jewerly, etc. came to be part of the annual event.

In its present form the DEMA show represents the largest worldwide gathering for our industry. There are things that can change, IMO, to make the annual DEMA event more effective for all concerned; In the meantime, it is still the best annual event for those in the diving buss.

Cool Beans! congrats to your son and to you!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scuba Jenny

As we say in California "Que Ricos Frijoles"

Thanks again on that tip on the Russian edition of the Silent World. I aquired it ..Now resting in my book case..

Cheers from Cen Cal,

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom