Question about OWU

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
from a p.m.:

about Our World Underwater

Doc,

I am just recently into diving and I followed your signature from the thread I posted about non-diving spouse on a live aboard to your myspace page where I ran across the info on Our World Underwater. What's all involved in that? I live in West Bend and am thinking of coming down with said non-diving wife for a day or so to check it out. I did take a trip the the OWU web site but was looking for more of an "inside" opinion.

I don't have much experience (you've got about 300 times more dive that I do!!) but the scuba bug has really gotten me. I just love it and am hoping the ice on the lake we live on breaks and the water warms up so I can try out all my new Christmas gear!! Anyway, this might help soothe the jonesing I'm doing!

Thanks!

Brian.

Brian, you're not all that far away, really~ About 2.5 hours. And yes, many folks do spend an overnight, but most do it in less expensive digs than in the town of Rosemont or the at the Hyatt!

I see many attendees there from Indiana, Wisconsin and Iowa- also quite a few from Ohio, Michigan and Missouri. It is easy to spot the more than occasional real travelers from as far away as Pennsylvania, Minnesota and Kansas. Those SCUBA Club patches CAN tell you a lot!

Is it worth it? Yes, I do say it is. I go to a lot of the consumer SCUBA Shows, and occasionally I even DEMA. First I'll tell you- for the dollar value, you're getting way more benefit from attending any consumer public SCUBA Show rather than the commercial trade show like DEMA. Again- is it worth it? I would do anything to avoid eating at the Expo Center. Mediocre food and insane prices. Take a backpack with snacks and refill a water bottle at a fountain.

Beat the parking system: Pay $13 to park at the expo center or Hyatt- or park at the CTA Transit Lot 1 block South of the Stephens Expo Center on River Road (Just south of I90, the Kennedy). It's only a couple of bucks and you can hoof it for a five minute quick paced walk.

My favorite show for many years has always been Chicago's Our World Underwater. In recent years the Houston Seaspace and Seacaucus NJ Under the Sea became just as good. I hear that the TX show went away... if so that would be a real loss.

The general sales floor and exhibition hall is cool because you get to see all of the new toys, both from manufacturers as well as the shops that buy a booth space. Many folks come for just the workshops and the educational seminars. Then there is the film festival evenings.

WEEK-END AT A GLANCE, Our World Underwater
Friday – February 15, 2008

In-Depth Workshops 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM

Exhibition Hall 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM

Film Festival 8:30 PM – 10:00 PM

Saturday – February 16, 2008
In-Depth Workshops 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM

Exhibition Hall 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM

Seminars 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM

Film Festival 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM

Sunday – February 17, 2008
In-Depth Workshops 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
and of course my 11:10 a.m. session on "Advanced Dive travel- are you ready for it?"

Exhibition Hall 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM

Seminars 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM

Back
Top Bottom