DEMA - is it worth going?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This will be my first year that I'll have both access and opportunity (I think) to go to the dema show. My question is: is it worth it? I'm working at a shop, both in-store and teaching, but I'm not (at least currently) involved in ordering new stock. How much new stuff do the manufacturers unveil at the show? What could I get out of going? Thanks for any insight.

You will see some new things at the show, but usually not an overwhelming assortment of breakthrough products. It is worth it if you need to get training from a manufacturer on product service, or if you attend a lot of the instructor seminars/workshops. If you plan to make a career in the industry, then it is worth your time to make contacts and network.

Reactions: mdb
If you're looking for product unveiling, skip it. Manufacturers in this industry don't seem to get the idea of presenting new products at big industry shows and release whenever it's ready. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's definitely not how plenty of other industries do things.

Take a look at the site, see if any of the seminars are of use to you. It's a great place to experience a wide variety of topics all in a few days. It's worth going at least once, then you can see if it's relevant to your needs for future trips. I used to only go to the Vegas show (I live in Oregon) because it was relatively nearby. Now that I report on it for our site, I go every year. I definitely get the value out of it, but it's definitely not for everybody every year.

go great info and party ! learn all you can also check out the new little guys that you don't normally see

If you don't have a ton of clients to meet, or want to meet all of your sales reps and tech folks, or meet your training g agency folks, it really isn't worth it. The folks in the booth, while they want to be nice to you are selling things to folks with money to buy those things. If you're kicking tires, you may find that no one is talking to you....

Reactions: Jax
Unless you can go for cheap or have a purpose like attend a seminar from PSI/PCI or a mfg reg repair it makes little financial sense. That said I have gone three times always on a Saturday getting a one day pass. The last day can be worth while if there is specific gear you need as mfg will often sell gear at key pricing. DUI always seems to do a great business selling dry suits.

I went to the last show in Orlando and it's looking like I will go this year. But not as an instructor or shop. I go to assist a mfg and found that based on other instructor feedback I got a lot more out of it and more people took time to talk to me. As an idividual you will get some who will talk to you but more out of politeness than anything. I wouldn't bother if it was just as an individual. And the mfg's know those who can buy and those who can't. some will ignore you. Others, especially the offshore mfg's will treat you well and spend time talking to you. They are hungry for business and some of the smaller guys get it and also talk to small shops and even independents. They know that the small guy today could be the big guy or big dealer for them down the road. Some of the majors could take a lesson from them. And some in fact are.

Reactions: mdb
i enjoyed it, even though i have no shop affiliation (was there with larry, who did), but i'm a social butterfly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom