NACD seminar - post recap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NACD

Reaction score
Hi all, I have had a number of posts in several different threads so I'll recap all in one thread for you.

There is still time to sign up. Go to the online store at www.nacdmembers.com or you can register at the seminar.

Members/attendee social at Ginnie on Friday, October 11. Non-diving admission is free but if you wait to register at the seminar, your name will not make it to the Ginnie list for free admission. If you are diving on Friday, it is a mute point. We will have burgers (beef and veggie), dogs, chips, soft drinks, music, and more.

Speakers and topics at the seminar at the Paramount in Gainesville on Saturday, October 12 are:
Eric Hutcheson and Kristi Bernot - Silver Glen Springs
Brian Kakuk - Solo vs team diving
Doug Ebersole - PFO update
Pete Murray(NetDoc) - Social media
David Dewberry - Cozumel exploration
Rob Neto - Rebreather bailout
Michael Angelo Gagliardi - Gas analysis

Thank you to numerous sponsors, vendors, and donors for supporting you and the NACD including:
Dive Rite
SEAC
Shearwater Research
Hollis
Chipola Divers, LLC
Amigos Dive Center
Dive Right In Scuba
Dive Gear Express
Gamble Scuba
Michael Angelo Art and Chateau H2O
Current Problems
Cave Excursions
Dive Outpost
Cave Country Dive Shop
Ginnie Springs Outdoors
Divers Alert Network
Dayo Scuba
and more.
These businesses help make the seminar possible, and we appreciate them.

These businesses have donated $5000 in raffle/door prizes including:
DR $500 Gift certificate
SEAC dry suit
Hollis Sidemount system
Tilly Tec primary light
Shearwater Petrel computer
back up lights
artwork
air cards
lodging
more gift certificates
tee shirts
spools
memberships
and more!

Cap everything off on Sunday at Ginnie where we will have a roundtable discussion beginnig at 8AM on our training programs. This is a chance for you to give the NACD your input on training too.​

Safe diving,

Sandy Robinson
pr@nationalassociationforcavediving.org

Last edited:
Fun event kicked off with a BBQ last night at Ginnie Springs. Today, interesting speakers and conversations...and meetings lots of fun cave diving peeps.

Here are a few of the sponsors.

uploadfromtaptalk1381600831645.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1381600883708.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1381600933375.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1381601018315.jpg

Happy Diving!
Elena

Quotes from Annual Seminar speaker, Dr Rob Ebersole
"DCS is a sports injury."
"Just because someone gets bent doesn't necessary mean that they are an unsafe diver."
"Nobody deserves to get bent."

Annual seminar speaker, Pete "NetDoc" Murray, Using Social Media
"Google is your best friend. Forums are the way to get noticed."
"Open critique of others hurts you more than it hurts them."
"Be truthful, without being malicious."
"Negative posts don't do much good. Rather than trying to drive business away from someone, make a positive post and drive business toward someone else."

Annual seminar speaker, David Dewberry, Dos Coronas Project.
Lots of beautiful pics from the exploration, here are some excerpts from his talk.
"Small passage that leads to a cenote with tannic water. We had limited visibility going in, zero visibility on exit."
" in 2011system explored to 1000 ft. . . . 2012 expanded to 2900 ft . . . Currently the total length if the system is 7264 ft. Many believe that the system is maxed out."

Last edited:
uploadfromtaptalk1381602266419.jpg

The recipients of the 2013 Wakulla Award Recipients for Safe Cave Dives.

9 recipients of the Bronze Award for 100, and 1 recipient of the Silver Award for 500.

Including a few Scubaboarders were award recipients who were not present: Katepnatl, TStorm. Present award recipient included Scubaboarder Sandy Robinson.

And a speechless Larry Green teared up when he was surprised with an award for his tireless volunteer work and NACD leadership.
uploadfromtaptalk1381602744965.jpg

Happy Diving!
Elena

Annual seminar speaker, Rob Neto, rebreather bailout.
Outline:
What is bailout.
When to bailout.
How to bailout.
The decision to bailout.
Types of bailout.
How much bailout gas is needed.
Issues in going from CCR to open circuit.

Annual seminar speaker Brian Kakuk, Solo vs Team Diving.
Experience level of divers appears to be a factor in the acceptability of solo divers.
Stats according to IUCRR ( international underwater cave rescue and recovery)
DAN of 821 fatalities, 141 entered the water without a dive buddy(this data includes ow and cave dives).
Questions to be considered:
Do I really have the experience required for this level of diving.
Do I have the equipment (redundancy) required?
Am I physically fit enough to undertake this type of diving.
Accepting the risk for:
Grief on Loved ones, the impact on the diving community, rescue/recovery teams, reputation of shops, manufacturers, boat and land owners.

Annual Seminar presenter, Michael Angelo Gagliardi related a first hand account of cave diving fatality resulting from CO poisoning in cocodrilo cenote mexico. Included in this talk was a presentation of contributing factors and other possible incidents in the USA and around the world. The dangers of complaisant attitudes in diving.
An appeal to make carbon monoxide analysis as common as other gas analysis.

Last edited:
Post event pizza at Leonardo's

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381624862866.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381624862866.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 115
Hi Elena and Al,

Thanks for the pics and posts. Also, it was great seeing you this weekend. The BOD and other volunteers put in much time and effort to ensure an informative seminar for you and the other attendees. Also the NACD had considerable support from the speakers, sponsors, vendors, and exhibitors. It is with their support that we can have this seminar for you.

The NACD has five pillars: training, safety, service, conservation, and exploration. Our speakers covered all of those in the seminar with an emphasis on safety. Thanks again to Doug Ebersole, Brian Kakuk, Pete Murray, David Dewberry, Rob Neto, Eric Hutchison, Kristi Bernot, and Michael Angelo Gagliardi for their presentations. We are better informed and more knowledgable because of you.

Also, thank you to Shearwater and Michael Angelo Gagliardi Artwork, Dive Rite and the North Florida Springs Alliance, Hollis, SEAC, and Chipola Divers for their raffle prize donations. Additionally, we appreciate Dive Rite, Cave Excursions, Dive Outpost, Dayo Scuba, Current Problems, Chipola Divers, Amigos Dive Center, Dive Right in Scuba, Dive Gear Express, Gamble Scuba, and Cave Country Dive Shop for their door prize donations. Lastly, we thank Ginnie Springs for the use of their pavilions on Friday evening and Saturday morning.

This year, we handed out surveys to solicit feedback on the seminar, and this morning we had a "town hall" meeting both of which resulted if several ideas/comments from our members. Expect more information in the near future.

Ricky and Tammy Dumm, Bill Taylor, Chris Corbett, Kristi Draper, and others ensured there was plenty of good food on Friday - thanks guys (and ladies)

More more information on the seminar, check out the next journal issue.

To join the NACD, visit the online store at www.nacdmembers.com. Also, visit us on Facebook.

Safe diving,

Sandy Robinson
pr@nationalassociationforcavediving.com

I am so happy that I attended this year's NACD Seminar. Had no idea what to expect since this was my first one to attend. Got valuable information that no doubt will make ke a better, safer cave diver.
Met divers from all over the world and got some great information on where to dive and how to dive these spots at a reasonable price.
Also I want to thank all the Board Members for their hard work, the speakers for their time and efforts, and all the sponsers and maufactures that contributed both their time and merchandise.
I was lucky enough to have won a new Diverite TX Reg. I never win anything but their was so much merchandise given away it was hard not to win.
Look what I got for my $40.00. Invaluable diving and safety information, free entrance and dinner tt Gennie Springs Friday Night, new accquatences and seeing old ones again, a NACD T Shirt, DAN Luggage Label, NACD Tote Bag, and a New Diverite Regulator.
If that was avilable everyweekend I would never get wet. All my time would be gathering more and more information.
If you did not go this year you best make plans for next year. Believe me, it is more than worth your time and the price is almost too low. I better be careful, someone may say "Let's up the price." Seriously, I could spend hours and hours writing alll the things I heard and learned at the Seminar. My dive buddies know they missed a great opportunity. They will be there next year.

We were able to capture videos of the presentations this past weekend. We will be posting these videos on youtube over the coming weeks for our members to view. The first video is posted and is available to everyone. The presentation is Patent Foramen Ovale by Dr. Doug Ebersole, MD. Thanks To Rob Neto for editing and making the video available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo2Vju64cOk

Safe diving,

Sandy Robinson
pr@nationalassociationforcavediving.org

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom