So what is your excuse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIDIVER501

Contributor
Reaction score
Once again, it is the beginning of the dive season for most people in the NE. and the question I keep getting asked at the shop is, "how can you dive so much?" Most of the people asking the question only logg around 10 dives a summer if that.
top 3 excuses given are:
Nobody to dive with.
too busy on the weekend.
too much hassle.

My counter question is why do you dive to little?
one of My DM candidates started coming to the fun dives the shop holds once a week and ended up logging 10 dives in a month with little effort.
people go out on week nights. why not go knock out a wed night, night dive?
or if you aren't night dive certified or don't like diving at night, the sun isn't setting until late. heck even if it were setting at 7 one still has at least a 2 hour window to make one dive between 5 and 7, close proximity of water permitting of course.

so if you are an infrequent diver, or some one who doesn't dive as much as you'd like, what is your excuse? maybe this should even be a poll?

Hmmmm, i have no excuse, i dive 14-18 times a week.........
but then again its always summer here!

( so sorry for that comment folks but it was just begging for such an answer!!)

good on ya.
But I am looking for the response from those who are barely diving. from a couple times a season to only when they go away on vacation.

Divers like you and I who dive just becuase or have more access becuase it is part of our jobs...don't have an excuse because we don't need one

Ive spoken to a lot of students doing their advanced who've barely dived since their open water course.

Up in Scotland, a frequently quoted reason Ive heard is that they've learnt overseas and believe the bull ***** when they get back home that if you learnt in warm tropical waters you somehow are unable to dive in the UK.

Also though a lot of clubs are not elitist and are pretty open, there are too many that aren't and that stops a lot of folk joining clubs and meeting other divers to go diving with.

How about "not certified yet" (this weekend)

It's a 3-5 hour drive to anywhere that's worth diving for me, but I still do it as much as I can. Headed up to Ontario tonight to spend all weekend in the St Lawrence.

Well I started out good. Got in 5 dives in my new drysuit and then got a nasty ear infection. So I'm down for another couple weeks. So there's my excuse :eyebrow:

I bet "too much hassle." I tried to dive after the work during the weekday, Wednesday or Friday. It is too mcuh hassle to have fun with the dive. It requires at least 6 hrs including the transportation for the simple local trip. So,~~~

DORSETBOY:
Ive spoken to a lot of students doing their advanced who've barely dived since their open water course.

Up in Scotland, a frequently quoted reason Ive heard is that they've learnt overseas and believe the bull ***** when they get back home that if you learnt in warm tropical waters you somehow are unable to dive in the UK.

Also though a lot of clubs are not elitist and are pretty open, there are too many that aren't and that stops a lot of folk joining clubs and meeting other divers to go diving with.

Well, this is just a thought from a non UK person but...everyone i have ever spoken to that is BSAC certified is elitist in this way. They all think they are the best divers and are completely anti PADI or anyone else. Therefore a lot of the younger people who go to Thailand, Oz etc and get certified there are probably somewhat intimidated by all the old school BSAC guys who hang out at the shops back home.

Was going to excuse myself for getting off topic but then again i don't think i am
Mike

DORSETBOY:

However without further training or experience that risk of them hurting or killing themselves is massively increased as a south coast coroner reported last year.

Cold waters, low vis, rough seas, thick exposure protection IS a big difference from say the red sea and does need extra practice or training with someone experienced. There were several cases last year alone where people were hurt or killed jumping into the sea or inland sites here having only dived abroad and getting into difficulty.

Regardless of agency some training or guidance is needed to transfer to these waters.

Back
Top Bottom