Where did everyone dive this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So, where did y'all dive this weekend?
I dove Peacock Thursday and Saturday, and Ginnie Friday and Sunday. Man were those places zoos! Thursday at Peacock, a class from Texas A&M of 29 were there when we pulled in. Then they were at Ginnie on Friday.
Ginnie was an extreme mess on Sunday. If you wanted in the water, you had to either wait 30 minutes for all of the tubers to go down the stairs, push them out of the way, or do what I did and crawl down the bank. Vis was about 6 inches in the spring run. Some butt nugget even stole my mask. However, we had great dives.
On Saturday Peacock was nice and quiet because everyone was at the Workshop. I dove the Peanut line all the way to the end. Man, is that place trashed! At about 1000ft, the floor is nasty all the way back. I could not beleive how many scooter marks were in the floor, and how many handprints there were. It lloked as if people stuck their hands all the way up to their wrists in the silt foor, and that they tried to pull and glide along the silt floor. Horrible! I know Peacock is a sacrificial training cave, and that everyone crashes and burnes once in a while, but damn. The floor to ceiling height is 15 feet, and their are still marks on the floor.

I saw that group from Texas A&M, they were at the workshop on Saturday.

I ended up diving Orange Grove on Sunday. I couldn't find a place to park by Peacock, so we decided on Orange Grove.

Too bad we didn't run into each other, maybe next time.

That group had vis TRASHED in the cavern areas of Peacock. My first dive was down the Peanut tunnel, and it was about 10ft all the way to the grim reaper. Some folks coming out said that the mainline was trashed half way to Pothole.

Ya know, we were going to dive Orange and Olsen on Sunday, heck we even went to Peacock Sunday morning. When I got there, it was empty, only about 4 cars in the park. However, my back was still hurting too bad, and I did not want to crawl out of Orange or Olsen, or climb that ladder while wearing double 104's. So we headed to Ginnie. We should have just stayed at Peacock, because Ginnie looked like a cross between a Alabama family reunion and a frat party.

That's the great thing about cave diving in the winter... not all these people! Wish I lived close enough to dive during the week!!

sigh... time to move!

Well dont live Florida wished i did, but i did dive this weekend at a site i havent dove before. Martha's Quarry in Wilson Co. TN. just East of Nashville was real good dive not as good as ya'll have it but at least im diving.

Hey James,
You should have been at the convention. Wes Skyles went over the reasons why Peacock should never be called a sacrificial system. I agree that it is trashed all the way back. There are some good shoots down the water source tunnel that are still in good shape. It's easier in sidemount though.

In the future, please don't refer to state parks or recreational areas as sacrificial areas, as this makes it sound like we the cave divers don't care about the holes we are kicking through.
I had referred to it as sacrificial until I found out why I shouldn't as well.
Cheers

Good point Sherpa. When I say sacrificial, I don't mean it as a site where we can just do whatever the hell we please, and carve our name into the rock. I just meant it as a site that we know is going to have a lot more damage then the highly protected sites like upstream cow.

I really wanted to listen to Wes Skiles speak and see his new video . :upset:

Which new video? The Iceisland one? I think you can order it from his website www.wesskiles.com. He was selling copies at the show.

Yeah, the Ice Island one. Time to order it I guess!!!!!! Thanks for the info Wendy!

Originally posted by Divesherpa
There are some good shoots down the water source tunnel that are still in good shape. It's easier in sidemount though.

There are several tunnels in Peacock that aren't trashed yet. The main ones are but as one gains more experience and skill there are some side tunnels that can knock your socks off!! They require the skill to be able to control buoyancy (and be slick) within inches in spots but are well worth it once that skill level has been achieved!

DSAO!!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom