Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Hi,
I herad a rumor today from some co-workers that a diver died while diving in Ontario this past 2 days.

Does anyone know the details of what happened, was he diving solo as I have heard? Where was he diving and what happened?

Thanks,

PS Its always sad to hear we have lost a fellow diver to the sport.

What I've heard has all been from co-workers, who have picked up bits and pices from TV and Radio.. I don't know their sources of information.

Newly certified diver, Diving solo. People saw him go in, no-one saw him come out. Lake Ontario, Port Byron, town of Huron. Some of his gear was found. I also heard he was from PA.

I repeat. This is only word of mouth stuff that I have "heard".

Yes it is sad.

BUT!!!
My first thoughts when I heard of this was
"Where the *insert expletive here* was his buddy!"

And why was a newly certified diver diving solo???

Well, I agree...which leads me to my 2nd posting:

As a newly certified diver, I see in this sport it’s not always easy to find a dive buddy who can dive when YOU can! In fact, it can be darn right difficult.

DIR endorses good dive buddies - and I agree with that. Problem is, what’s a guy to do when he can't find others to dive when he can?

A) Take up golf...
B) Train for the goal of solo diving one day...
C) Dive with buddies who may NOT be good buddies...
D) Dive only occasionally...

With a sport that is so buddy oriented, its not always easy.

Suggestions? Ideas?

NOTE: I'm not necessarily endorsing Solo Diving - I have no real opinion on that topic (another thread maybe)...as a Newbie - I'm not yet qualified to speak on that issue.

Thoughts all?

:eek:ff:

There's a fantastic community website in the Bay Area called www.craigslist.org - I've met heaps of buddies through it in the activity partners section. Some I dive with once, some I dive with again. It covers a number of cities (including New York), so try that.

Thanks,
But its says San Fran area....

??

Opps!

OK, I see New York now in the drop down menu..

Originally posted by Scuba446
Well, I agree...which leads me to my 2nd posting:

As a newly certified diver, I see in this sport it’s not always easy to find a dive buddy who can dive when YOU can! In fact, it can be darn right difficult.

DIR endorses good dive buddies - and I agree with that. Problem is, what’s a guy to do when he can't find others to dive when he can?

A) Take up golf...
B) Train for the goal of solo diving one day...
C) Dive with buddies who may NOT be good buddies...
D) Dive only occasionally...

With a sport that is so buddy oriented, its not always easy.

Suggestions? Ideas?

NOTE: I'm not necessarily endorsing Solo Diving - I have no real opinion on that topic (another thread maybe)...as a Newbie - I'm not yet qualified to speak on that issue.

Thoughts all?

I have thought about solo diving. It is tempting sometimes. Like when I want to dive, My son is busy, and my wifes working.
You know, just an easy shore dive. Nope! it's tempting but I know better.
Maybe when I have a lot more experience, and redundant equipment.

I think no matter which agency we went through our training included, Dive within your training (my training included diving with a buddy) and Never dive alone.

Hell 446, there's even days I wanna dive so bad I'd even drive up to visit you!! :wink:
Of coarse you probably wouldn't want to dive with me, I'm not 100% DIR. Just slowly working that way.

Hey Dude,
I'm not 100% DIR yet either...I learned "A DIR rig does NOT make a DIR diver!"

Its much more than just the rig! But, I'm slowly working that way. I don't add any new gear or items that I can't justify in the DIR method. Of course, its not always easy.

Sometimes the idea of a 30 cu in pony sounds very appealing and safe....but I don't think the extra 'false security' of adding another tank, reg and PSI gauge is the full solution. Just more gear to maintain annually...

I dont like diving solo, but it isn't always easy to find someone to dive with. so I have done some solo dives, but have always limited them to 40ft or less when alone. (my safety Zone).
I need more dive buddies

Ahh Rooster,
You not that far from me...I'm in Oneida, NY - about 1.5 to 2 hrs from A-Bay. Actually, supposed to come up and dive some easy wrecks on Aug. 24th if my two dive friends rent their gear and go...

Maybe we can team up someday and do a dive or two.

I try and dive very safe, and take no unecessary risks and concentrate on being a good dive buddy...

Back
Top Bottom