dry suit + Halcyon Eclipse + weights = ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dutch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have recently acquired a Halcyon Eclipse with the SS backplate. Problem is that I DO NOT like wearing a 30 lb. weight belt in addition to the bp/w. So, where to put the additional 24 lbs (30 - 6 from the SS plate)?
I've read enough to know that the Halcyon ACB, outside of being outrageously priced, just takes up too much real estate on the waist strap. Folks have suggested the XS scuba tank pockets with the velcro fasteners. I guess these can be used on both the tank and waist straps. Everyone also talks about fine-tuning your trim based on weight placement, but that's if you actually use your bc for buoyancy. I use the air in my dry suit to achieve neutral positioning.
So, where to put the weights? And, any other suggestions on weight pouches? Thanks.

If you don't want to try using your BC instead of your suit, I'd suggest using a steel tank to eliminate more weight, and just keeping the rest on a belt to reduce clutter. Of course, if you really don't want to wear a belt, there are other things you could try, but they'd work a lot better if you didn't insist on using your dry suit for a bouyancy control suit.

He mentioned, "ACB is outrageously priced"

The steel tank isn't more expensive than ACB?

In my current setup I use 30 pounds as well, here is how mine is broken up:

SS backplate: 6 lb
Weighted STA: 6 lb
XS Scuba weight pockets on harness waist: 6 lb (3 lb in each)
Weightbelt: 12 lb

Total: 30 lb

It works well for me.

Either a weighted STA (left unit):
halcyon-1128.jpg

or a "P-weight":
p-weight_1_thumb.jpg

or a heavier backplate would certainly lower your need for 30 lbs around your waist.

My way without any hesitation would be:

-Use you wing for bouancy control
-Steel single tank
-P-weight (6 lbs)
-Shell suit instead of neoprene, if you haven't got it already

And then a little extra lead in the ordinary waist belt, which you will find is much easier to wear with for instance 8 lbs instead of 30 lbs...

And YES, I've had an Eclipse 40 for about a year/60 dives now. It works great if you're "Doing It Right"!

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I'm just not very familiar with these tech rigs, so it's good to get a little feedback from other coldwater divers.

One of the best ways I've found, which avoids a lot of stuff strung on your belt (but which is inflexible), is a heavy backplate.

Give FredT a PM. He's on this board. He makes 1/4" SS plates that are 12 lbs and 5/8" SS plates that are 15 lbs. I've got the 1/4". I don't need any more weight than that with steel tanks.

If you do, however, as Kompressor said, a 6lb weighted STA and a heavy plate, together with steel tanks, should meet your needs completely - thus avoiding the weightbelt entirely.

It's one option. Best with your solution,

Doc

I am not a cold water diver, but is wearing THIRTY POUNDS of lead really common in cold water when diving wet? I am going to be doing some cold water diving next year, so I am just trying to get some idea.

Curently I dive a SS BP with a 5mm farmer top and 7/5mm hood, and use no additional weight.

Thanks.

Yeah, when diving cold water wet, I usually had a 7mm farmer john with a 7mm jacket over that. With 14mm of neoprene on my core, 7mm on my arms and legs, plus a 5mm hood, boots, and gloves, I had a lot of neoprene on. When I was diving that with aluminium 80s and no backplate, I had 32 lbs of lead on, which is good for a fat guy. I started with 40 on my first cold water dives. Any less and I was having trouble descending.

In warm water with an AL80 and 6lb backplate, I wear 4-6 lbs on the belt. Diving dry with a backplate and steel 72s ($50 each used), I wear a manageable 10 lbs on my belt.

Back
Top Bottom