Tank Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT Dave

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a public safety (rescue and recovery) diver in Connecticut. Our team, with few exceptions, uses aluminum 80 cf tanks. Our SOGs limit dive times for each diver to 20 minutes. In 20 minutes, I use very little air--from 600 to 1000 psi depending upon effort. It seems I could get by with a significantly smaller tank, say a 62 or even a 50. I suspect it would be more comfortable both on the surface and below, but I've never used either. So now my question: Does anyone use a 50 or 62 for public safety diving and/or can anyone think of any pros or cons to doing so? Thanks in advance for your input.

Dave

I know squat about PSD except to say thank you, but I would guess the time limit and tank size are to build in a reserve for whatever contigencies you might have to deal with. Are there any SOGs of when you can extend the dive past 20 minutes? Is it the kind of thing where you can search for 20 minutes and if you find whatever/whomever you are looking for, then you can go into overtime?

IMHO I'd stay with the larger tank. We have some 50's but only use them for aux. stuff like stage bottles.

We can get in situations where you you’d be mighty glad to have the extra air handy. Better to have way too much than one breath to short.

Comfort is a word we don’t relate to very much in PSD. Use what is necessary to get the job done safely and save that extra bit of comfort for those play dives. With a 20-minute limit you could get by without scratching an itch. :D

There will be times, if you are on enough operations, where you will suck a 3000# 80 near dry in that time.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom