tips for C-5000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minnesota01r6

Contributor
Reaction score
I am new to underwater photography, and I recently purchased the pt-19 UW housing for my c-5000 point & shoot camera. I couldn't pass it up ($19 on ebay from olympus). I am wondering what else I should buy and what type of photos to take to get the most out of my underwater photography experience. I plan on doing more close up photography of small creatures rather than trying to take photos of an entire shipwreck - is that my best plan for a no-frills camera or should I be doing something else? Also, should I invest in a macro lens or strobe? I will be going to Fiji for my honeymoon in July, and if I don't have the proper gear, I won't be able to buy it while I'm there. Since I don't get to dive very often (2 trips per year) I would like to come prepared.

Any tips from more experienced photographers would be great!

Thanks a ton!

EDIT: also, do standard macro lenses work underwater with the pt-19 or do I have to buy a special one since the lense screws on to the outside of the housing?

thanks for the links jamdiver. I have a couple more questions if anyone is willing to help point me in the right direction:

1) what lenses will fit this camera? I see on a lot of UW photography sites that lenses are for the "pt-20 and pt-27" (or some other pt model) but will these fit my pt-19 or are the threads/size different?

2) the c-5000 has a "hot shoe" for external strobe, is there some way to trigger an UW strobe with this or am I only going to be able to use a manual strobe

3) I would like to buy a decent, inexpensive macro lens - any suggestions on where to look?

thanks

Thanks Hueyatl1 - I actually found your thread by doing a search after there was little response to my thread. I plan on doing quite a few night dives when I go to Fiji this summer - thanks for the advice!

minnesota01r6:
Thanks Hueyatl1 - I actually found your thread by doing a search after there was little response to my thread. I plan on doing quite a few night dives when I go to Fiji this summer - thanks for the advice!
Fiji! I an envious.

When doing UW night photography I hold my diving light on the subject long enough for the camera to focus then pull the light away before taking the picture so that only one light source illuminates the subject.

I'm also using the C5000.

The PT-019 housing has a 46mm thread. Epoque makes a wide angle and macro lens that can be used. I have the wide-angle lens, but haven't really had a chance to get it wet yet.

You can use the internal flash to trigger a slave strobe; the hot shoe is unusable with the PT-019 housing. Unfortunately, you can't fire it (the internal flash, and therefore any slave strobe) in super-macro mode (unlike the C5050 which I think has an option to fire the internal flash in slave mode in super-macro).
Anyway, I find this kind of annoying.

hueyatl1:
When doing UW night photography I hold my diving light on the subject long enough for the camera to focus then pull the light away before taking the picture so that only one light source illuminates the subject.

Nice - I will have to try that!

rhlee thanks for the info! I will look into Epoque and forget about trying to use super macro mode while diving.

rhlee:
I'm also using the C5000.

Unfortunately, you can't fire it (the internal flash, and therefore any slave strobe) in super-macro mode (unlike the C5050 which I think has an option to fire the internal flash in slave mode in super-macro).
Anyway, I find this kind of annoying.

I have not used a C-5000 so this may not help but on the 5050 you MUST be in manual mode and set the strobe to slave mode to use the flash in supermacro. It will not work in any other mode (A/S/P).

Back
Top Bottom