Cheap trip to Australia...Am I out of my mind??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have been wanting to go to Australia forever. I want to dive the great barrier reef for sure. I wasthisclose to going there on my honeymoon, but wedding expenses didn't leave us with enough money to book that particular trip.

Just curious....could I book a trip for two to Australia that would be cheaper than $8000? I know a trip to Australia will be expensive without a doubt, but I am looking for any type of package deal, good rate, discount offer, etc....
Anyone know of a good deal going on right now?

Amber

It really depends on how prudently you book your airfare (i.e. how far in advance, how flexible your dates are, choice of originating airports, etc.).

I'd think you could come in around $7000 for airfare in economy and a weeklong trip on the Undersea Explorer. Incidentals, like a night or two in a hotel and land transport, are minor extras.

Check out www.underseaexplorer.com

Amber,

I haven't been looking for recent deals, but I can tell you how my wife and I saved a lot on our Australian Vacation.

A couple of months before our trip, we "became" travel agents. We received our International Association of Travel Agents (IATA) number through a large travel agency named Global Travel International (GTI).

At the time, a membership cost $300. We proceded to save $1200 on our 4 week trip. We saved the money while staying at some of the nicest hotels in Sydney (The Intercontinental) and Cairns (The Oasis). Each hotel gave us a 50% travel agent discount. We also saved $350 on our live-aboard (Nimrod Explorer) which gave us a 10% travel agent discount.

We continue to renew our membership ($100 a year, I think) and reap many benefits.

I have a direct link to the Information Section of GTI's website on my homepage. If you're interested, click on my URL below, and look for the GTI link. Once on the GTI page, use the links at the top of the page and the "learn more" button.

Also, I recommend live-aboards that go to the Coral Sea or Far North GBR.

Thanks for the tip, Stone. I'm going to look into that for future trips! I've already requested information from them, with your referral number.

$8000 USD is a lot of moola in Australia - that's about $14500 AUD. You can probably save a lot as well by just buying return tickets to Australia, and booking your dive holiday through an Australian travel agent - the time zone differences aren't that great - 4pm in California is 9am in Australia, so you have all evening to talk to agents. Just buy a calling card. Plus we speak English (if you listen hard enough) which is a bonus :D

bengiddins once bubbled...
$8000 USD is a lot of moola in Australia - that's about $14500 AUD. You can probably save a lot as well by just buying return tickets to Australia, and booking your dive holiday through an Australian travel agent - the time zone differences aren't that great - 4pm in California is 9am in Australia, so you have all evening to talk to agents. Just buy a calling card. Plus we speak English (if you listen hard enough) which is a bonus :D

I never thought of buying a trip from an agent in Australia. I might look into that. That's a pretty good tip!!!!!:)

Also... Stone---- I thought about becoming a travel agent once before, but I read in the fine print that you have to sell so many trips before you can reap the benefits. Is that true for your company??
I will check out your webpage!

Thanks for all the great tips!!!!!!!!!
Amber:dazzle:

MissAmberDiva once bubbled...

Also... Stone---- I thought about becoming a travel agent once before, but I read in the fine print that you have to sell so many trips before you can reap the benefits. Is that true for your company??

Amber:dazzle:

I second that question. Is there a minimum amount of business that you are required to do to keep your credentials current?

MissAmberDiva, I think you will find that the US dollar goes VERY far in Australia. When I was there in 2001 I found myself staying at some VERY swanky hotels for about half what I would expect to pay for a fleebag with a bath in the hall in New York.

MissAmberDiva once bubbled...
I thought about becoming a travel agent once before, but I read in the fine print that you have to sell so many trips before you can reap the benefits. Is that true for your company??

I have never sold a trip. My wife has booked a couple of trips for friends and family, but we became members just for the incredible discounts.

We haven't taken advantage of the cruise ship perks yet, but travel agents can get some cruises for next to nothing.

You can also get deeply discounted admissions (50%?) to themeparks like Disney, Universal, and San Diego Zoo.

When booking anything, or making reservations, the magic words are: "Do you have a Travel Agent discount?"

Stone:
Revise:
To have a real travel agent IATAN card you are supposed to have sold 50,000 in sales or made 5,000 in commissin for one year. You have to then send them a copy of your 1099 to prove you have done this.
Anyone who hasn't done this is a fraud, and is using a tavel agent discount when they are not a travel agent.
But I guess you already know that since you sell vitamins.

Natasha,

I don't apologize to the furniture store when I build my own furniture.

I don't apologize to the garage mechanic when I work on my own car.

I don't apologize to my LDS when I overhaul my own regs (or buy from the internet).

And, I certainly won't apologize to you for booking my own travel (or helping other people who have the inclination, learn how to book theirs).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom