My Gear and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndrewK2

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, I've been a bit absent from here since December, but glad to be back:)

Anyway, onto my question:
I've just started my Naui Nitrox course and I have a few questions about my gear.
first of all, I'm using a Genesis GS-2000. In the manual, it says not to use it with any mix with more than 21% oxygen. I'm assuming this is because it isn't ready and the seals/lubricants aren't oxygen compatible. So is all I need to do for my regulator is take it to my dive shop and ask them to order and install the proper parts to make it Nitrox safe? Is there such a kit available for this regulator?

Secondly is my BC. In the Naui Nitrox manual, it says BC's don't need to be worried about and says they should be fine. However, in the manual for my Cressi Aquapro 5, it gives a few problems that could arise from using it with nitrox, but doesn't actually say not to use it with nitrox - will there be any issues with the BC? If so, are there kits for BCs as well to make them Nitrox safe?

thanks for all your help

Nitrox should not be a problem for your gear. Don't use anything above 36% (give or take).

Here we go again with the EAN compatable BCD question. Don't take this as me blowing off your question, its just that this was a funny thread to follow... http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=132236

okay, so from that thread (and I admit, I did find certain parts really funny) I'll go with the opinion that my BCD will be fine with Nitrox.
I'm still curious about the reg though - doesn't it need to be O2 clean in since it's being exposed to the higher pressure? I'm just wondering why the advice is mixed in this regard. My instructor even says it will be okay, but the Naui book seems to say otherwize and it's getting kind of confusing. Also, if I end up getting my reg cleaned, then do I need to get another reg to use with normal air in order to avoid "contaminating" the one I got cleaned?
Has anyone actually used a reg that isn't meant for Nitrox at 40% O2?

thanks

I just took the PADI Enriched Air class just this morning. The PADI manual states:
  1. The common dive community guideline is that scuba regulators, BCDs, SPGs and alternate air sources may be used with enriched air blends that have up to 40% oxygen without modification. This guideline, originally based on the standards and field experience of NOAA, the US Navy, the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and others, has been in use for more than a decade with a good record.
  2. Gas mixes with more than 40% oxygen require equipment (including cylinders) that has been cleaned to oxygen service specifications. This means the equipment must be specially cleaned, be made of oxygen compatible materials and be lubricated with oxygen compatible lubricants. In recreational diving, blends with more than 40% oxygen are uncommon, and generally are used when diving with recreational semiclosed circuit breathers.
  3. Some scuba manufacturers state that their equipment shouldn't be used with enriched air. Others state that their equipment may be used with enriched air, but requires special servicing and maintenance. Follow all manufacturer recommendations with respect to using equipment with enriched air.
  4. The use of oxygen compatible lubricants, O-rings and other materials as appropriate during servicing is generally recommended.
  5. You should have your regulator serviced at least annually, preferably by a scuba technician qualified to work on enriched air equipment. If your equipment is accidentally exposed to anything other than water (i.e., oils, lubricants not recommended by the manufacturer, etc.), have it inspected or recleaned by a qualified technician to ensure that it hasn't picked up anything incompatible for use with enriched air. If you add any accessories, such as low pressure hoses, follow manufacturer recommendations.

Most regs are okay for use up to 40%. Many of the manufacturers now are using viton o-rings out of the factory. The problem in O2 cleaning mainly has to do with tanks and valves that are filled with mixes greater than 40% or filled using PPB, in which they are getting 100% O2 before they are diluted with air. So by the time the nitrox gets to your 1st stage, it's already below 40%. The 2nd stage doesn't see HP air. A lot of what you read from manufacturers is due to liability reasons more than safety reasons.

Each manuf. has different wording with regards to use of their regs with nitrox. Some use 21%, some 23.5% and some use 40% for recreational use limits. Most training agencies use 40% as the cut off, above which special nitrox cleaning is required.

In the US there are no laws that cover this stuff, thus the limits the manufs. set would be helpful in the event of an legal action. In Europe this stuff is regulated and much more set in stone.

Personally I have all my regs O2 cleaned and compatible. Viton O-rings and O2 compatible grease like Christolube aren't that much more expensive for an annual service and are safer. I only use OC for bailout so I get my gas fills from a shop that I know has clean gas. Even compressed air there is filtered to the same standards as O2 enriched mixes.

okay, my GS-2000 manual says I shouldn't use it with more than 21% O2, so getting the kit to make my reg safe (viton o-rings and stuff) looks like a good idea, so I'll ask my shop this week how to get that done. Does anyone know roughly how much that'll cost?

Now, most of my diving will still probably be with air, so I'll ask the shop if their air is safe to use once the reg is cleaned. What about diving when on vacation if I don't end up using nitrox, is it just a better idea in the end to buy another reg to use with regular air and use my current reg with nitrox?

Wow,
Just had to look at my GS-2000 Manual, cant believe that they are not good up to 40% EAN but sure enough, air only, damn, I thiink I got had by my LDS.......

Back
Top Bottom