this might be an old thread....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rockhound

Reaction score
but is anyone aware that some dive shops (North Texas Retail Scuba Association) are refusing to fill some (most?) older AL80's?

I haven't run across anyone refusing to fill my tanks, both of which are older AL80's, but local dive club webpage indicated this was the policy of SOME Texas retailers.

I wonder, since the reported tank failures are very rare. I think you are more likely to be injured by a tank falling on you from dive ladder than by one exploding while it is filled.

Here is the text of a link pasted to that site:

http://www.aloha.net/~sealncr/tanks/cscuba.htm

We have a chain of shops here in the PNW that will not fill ALs older than 1986 regardless of current hydro status... they would however sell me one of the *failed* ones for $75 to use as a O2 bottle ... pass... :D

This question has come up several times over the years on this board. There are several very good answers to the questions about the older tanks. To boil it down, yes there was an AL alloy that had some stress related failures BUT the failure rate was low and the problem can be detected long before a failure if vis's were done properly. Do a search on the board for the full responces. I have heard the "will not fill" rumors but all the shops here will fill them with a current VIP and hydro.

I haven't had anyone up here in the Northeast refuse a fill. However, my VIP stickers all come from a reputable shop and they include the "Visual Eddy" trademark. As long as your shop is knowledgable in proper VIP techniques, you're all set. I've seen many "cracked" 80's, the cracks are easily seen even without the electronic inspection devices.
Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom