Ginnie Springs Conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDawg007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey All,

I`m thinking about running down to Ginnie Springs this weekend, maybe checkout
Devils Den, and Blue Grotto while I`m there. Quite a long drive for me, looking at
close to a thousand or so. Probably stay past the weekend. I`m still new, and those Caverns look kind of fun from here.

My question is, does anyone know what the conditions are down there at the springs, and river?

Well I know for a fact that the river connected to Ginnie Springs is really crummy. It looks like an underwater desert. We have a cleanup dive organized for this coming Saturday and you are welcome to come along. Just look for the thread that I started.

Is this just for fun, or perhaps a cavern class?
This is for cave diving. If you decide to go, DO NOT, at all costs, go into the cave. Stay within the cavern zone only. If you are only going for fun and you enjoy it, contemplate getting cavern training.

As to conditions:
http://www.cavediver.net/springs/spring_frm.htm

The conditions at Ginnie in the spring (cavern and run) are almost always 72F water, 100+ feet of vis.

The springs are almost ALWAYS perfect but the river can get dark and nasty depending on rain and other factors. Give them a call but don't make a decision based on the conditions in the river. Great little extra, but only an extra. The ballroom is what you will go for. Go and have fun! It's lovely and so are the other local springs. Great place for some newbie diving as long as you go slowly and stay out of the caves. Ginnie, Devil's Den, Blue Grotto, and a lovely weekend! Safe driving!

scubafire:
Well I know for a fact that the river connected to Ginnie Springs is really crummy. It looks like an underwater desert. We have a cleanup dive organized for this coming Saturday and you are welcome to come along. Just look for the thread that I started.

Thanks scubafire for the invite. We probably won`t leave early enough to participate tho. Wish we could, I know it would be a blast.

SparticleBrane:
Is this just for fun, or perhaps a cavern class?
This is for cave diving. If you decide to go, DO NOT, at all costs, go into the cave. Stay within the cavern zone only. If you are only going for fun and you enjoy it, contemplate getting cavern training.

As to conditions:
http://www.cavediver.net/springs/spring_frm.htm

Just for fun, and to see if a cavern class is in our future. Oh yea, I`ll stay out of the caves. I know real caves are not like Athens...lol.

Thanks JimC & Scubadobadoo! Just what I wanted to hear.

Hey, you think we can get by in a full 3m with hoods, and gloves?

For longer dives that might be pushing it. Then again with a hood that might not be too bad.

SparticleBrane:
For longer dives that might be pushing it. Then again with a hood that might not be too bad.

Ok then, I think we will dive a tank and see. If we get too cold, I guess we could always rent a Farmer John, and layer it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom