Regulator sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On a recent dive on the Hilma Hooker at a depth of about 90' I noticed that my exhale sound from my reg was noticably quieter. We dove to this depth several times prior during the trip but only this time did I notice it. As I ascended it went back to normal.The remaining dives it was normal although they were only to about 65fsw. Could it have been due to being in close proximity to the hull of the ship somehow muffling the sound. I was not within the wreck but possibly under the gunnel as the ship is on it's side. But probably within a foot or two either way. ??

More than likely it was your ears not the regulator. A slight increase in depth which is not enough to cause discomfort in the ears can cause sounds to be muffled. Happens to me all the time. Next time it happens try clearing your ears and the sound level will rise.

I''m with the captain. Most notoicable to me is when it seems to roar.

Pete

Hmmnn, I guess both are possible although I don't recall it happening at other times when I need to clear my ears. The narcosis thing I thought about as well. I only had a change in the reg sound once before and upon surfacing I was told there was bubbles coming from my first stage and then noticed a leak between the upper and lower half. I had just had the annual service done prior to the dive. I brought the regs back and the service person just said that the screw holding the two swiveling halves together had to be tightened a bit. They have been fine for about the last 20 dives now but it just freaked me a bit to hear a change in tune at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom