Splurge for the Oly 5050 or get 3040?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeSK

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Still deciding between Canon s40 or an oly. I like the look of the 3040 and price is more or less the same except that the housing for the Oly is more expensive.

Was looking at the 5050 though. Way more expensive but I really only want to do this once. The 3040 is nice but only 3.2. The s40 of course is 4.0 and the 5050 is 5.0. If i'm not looking to make posters out of my pics, does this even matter? At most I'd maybe want to print out 8x10. Maybe.

Like i said, i really only want to do this one time only. I don't want to need/want another digi cam until the 10.0 comes out.

Any opinions? Of course, we really don't know the 5050 will perform UW, but there really isn't much reason based on specs and prior versions to think it won't be great is there?

Also, anyone know why the 4040 has been apparently discontued when they are still selling the 3040? I would think the 3040 would be put away before the other one.

MikeSK once bubbled...
Still deciding between Canon s40 or an oly. I like the look of the 3040 and price is more or less the same except that the housing for the Oly is more expensive.

Was looking at the 5050 though. Way more expensive but I really only want to do this once. The 3040 is nice but only 3.2. The s40 of course is 4.0 and the 5050 is 5.0. If i'm not looking to make posters out of my pics, does this even matter? At most I'd maybe want to print out 8x10. Maybe.

Like i said, i really only want to do this one time only. I don't want to need/want another digi cam until the 10.0 comes out.

If you only want 8x10's, the 3040 will work. I still think I'd go with at least 4.0, though. I don't know of anyone using the 3040 but quite a few are still using the 3080 and alot prefer it.

Any opinions? Of course, we really don't know the 5050 will perform UW, but there really isn't much reason based on specs and prior versions to think it won't be great is there?

There's a few things I don't like about the 5050. And I'd definately wait until it had proven itself underwater. Besides, I think it would be overkill for what you want so why spend the money.

Also, anyone know why the 4040 has been apparently discontued when they are still selling the 3040? I would think the 3040 would be put away before the other one.

That's the question we've all been asking! The 4000 is supposed to be the same camera, basically, but I there there are minor differences. To be honest, I can't keep them all straight!

Just because they have discontinued a model, doesn't mean it doesn't have a long life ahead of it. My 4040 was discontinued within 6 months of the purchase but I plan to keep it for a long time yet. Get what you can afford and add the accessories to make it's use more versatile such as a good strobe, extra memory cards and a good NiMH battery charger.

Those that try to keep the latest and greatest are chasing their tails when it comes to digital cameras!

That's true, thanks Dee :)

I might just go with the 4040 then. As long as there's no significant problems with it it should still be good for ages. One worry though is that if its discontinued, does that also include any warranty work should it ever be needed? I guess if i buy the extended warranty someone would still have to honor it.

I'd definetly like to get at least a 4.0. Even if i don't want/need bigger than 8x10 now, i might at some point. the 5050 is probably overkill, but something that i can grow into as it were.

Even the canon s40 is discontinued in favor of the s45. I guess i just need to put them all in hat and pick

What don't you like about the 5050 so far?

Like I said, it's hard to keep up with them all but if I remember correctly, (and I could be wrong) with the 5050, when using the macro feature it disables the internal flash. When you look at the Olympus website, the 5050 looks like the bees knees but using it for land pics vs. underwater, some of those things aren't an advantage.

The tilting monitor sounds neat but the only pics I have seen of it show it tilting down. I would need it to tilt up for u/w use.

So few have tried it underwater, I want to wait to hear more from actual u/w users before I make any final decisions myself. What I'm really waiting for, which may never come to pass, is a digital that is totally designed to be used underwater.

Mike

I have the 3040 and it seems to do the job.....and 8x10 are well within the cameras abilities.

The issue you'll run into is that the 5050 housings are not out (well thats what I've heard) and they dont fit in the housings that accept the 20, 30 or 4040 series of Olympus cameras(sounds like the control buttons got moved around a bit). I have heard that the 4000 will fit the housings however.

There are a few shots on this site with the camera (Manta pics for the most part) and I'll get more up at some point....

Finesse, I thought you had the 3080?!? Proof positive the 3040 is as good as the rest!

Dee ..... To tell you the truth I didnt even know about the 3080....

Mike ....What housing/housings are you looking at??

fd219c40.jpg

Hey, some of us would sacrifice a memory card for some of those manta shots! hehehe

I don't know of anyone using the 3040

And she helped me decide to get it! Dat's otay, lil' buddy, I still love ya man.

Camera model: C3040Z
Date/Time: 2002:10:01 17:41:26
Resolution: 2048 x 1536
Flash used: Yes
Focal length: 7.3mm
Exposure time: 0.033 s (1/30)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv.: 100
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

aas.sized.jpg

tony