I Finished! :D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just finished the last of my tests and student teaching for my Instructor course :D

For the past 2 1/2 weeks I've been working with Brad from B&B almost every day working on my instructor course through IANTD - Instead of the IDC/IE style that PADI uses this was more a student teaching internship style program.

Each day I would work with OW/AOW students under the supervision of Brad, then he would evaluate me. Today I taught a Nitrox classroom session for nearly 3 hours, took the 3 instructor exams (only missed 2 questions - woohoo!) and filled out all the paperwork! Friday I pick up my paperwork and mail it in with registration fees to make it official :)

I gotta say this class was both a LOT of work and a LOT of fun :D It was up there with the DIR-F course ... just not as frustrating :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Congratulations Tim!

kidspot:
I just finished the last of my tests and student teaching for my Instructor course :D

For the past 2 1/2 weeks I've been working with Brad from B&B almost every day working on my instructor course through IANTD - Instead of the IDC/IE style that PADI uses this was more a student teaching internship style program.

Each day I would work with OW/AOW students under the supervision of Brad, then he would evaluate me. Today I taught a Nitrox classroom session for nearly 3 hours, took the 3 instructor exams (only missed 2 questions - woohoo!) and filled out all the paperwork! Friday I pick up my paperwork and mail it in with registration fees to make it official :)

I gotta say this class was both a LOT of work and a LOT of fun :D It was up there with the DIR-F course ... just not as frustrating :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Congradultions! an IANDT Instructor Credential is a subtantial achievement.

Tobin

Congrats! Your going to be an awsome inst....Have to ask, Why IANTD? From what ive been seeing they are about to go under.

Wildcard:
Congrats! Your going to be an awsome inst....Have to ask, Why IANTD? From what ive been seeing they are about to go under.

Thanks everyone :)

WC - I hadn't heard anything about that ... though I did hear they were under new management ... which used to be the old management or some such thing ... As to the why - Most of the folks I talked to who went through the PADI IDC (the only other option on Maui) stated that it was mostly on how to market PADI ... I wanted experience with students and to learn the how of in water instruction. My top choices were NAUI and IANTD due to their flexibility in teaching and requiring more than the standards require. Then I discovered that Brad, whom I'd taken classes from before was an IT with IANTD ... made the choice easy :wink:

All that combined with the option to become an Adv. EANx instructor through Trimix, rebreather and cave gives me a lot of future options for teaching if I decide to go that route later (not anticipated now, but then again I had not anticipated becoming an instructor till this past year either)

B&B also gave me the continued option of returning whenever they have space available so I can get more experience -

Aloha, Tim

Way to go Tim.

Theresa and I really enjoyed diving with you, we look forward to seeing you again next year. We'll stop by for our trimix certs! :D

Awesome job!

bwerb:
Way to go Tim.

Theresa and I really enjoyed diving with you, we look forward to seeing you again next year. We'll stop by for our trimix certs! :D

Awesome job!

lol - I'm just sticking with basics for now :wink: OW, AOW, EANx

Congrats, Tim!

I wonder if the people you've talked to about the PADI IDC have done it through "the other" one... I'm two days into mine at MDDC, and believe me... it's not only about marketing, and the part that is, is not completely PADI centered.

I'm not going to push PADI because PADI is great. BUT, they do have things laid out REALLY nice for the instructor, and a PADI Instructor cert is apparently a lot more applicable, especially in Canada, where they hold 95% of the market. (They're supposedly 55% worldwide...)

Basically, PADI has done a great job of marketing itself, so that hopefully some of that runs downhill to the instructors they certify. :)

For reference, we have 9 full days of class, including pool & OW sessions with simulated problems and scenarios. After that, the IE. Of course, doing an internship after that point would be perfect... which is sort of how I plan on handling mine.

Basically, work as a "certified assistant" to observe, and get to teach some stuff, but under the direct supervision of an instructor.

Tim, does this mean that I'm going to have to PAY you to dive with me when we're there next month????? :)

Congratulations. It's a big step.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom