Anybody Know How to add Hydraulic Fluid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The tilt trim/ engine lift is empty but the hole is only three inches from the water, and goes sideways. I feel like I need a special funnel or something so as not to spill in the water.

Are there any types of delivery systems that could help? (I keep think a cake frosting decorator would do it, but don't have one) Certainly there must be a solution to putting this in sideways and not spilling. One drop looks like Valdez.

Check with West Marine- they have all sorts of pumps/evac systems that would probably work.

Most horizontal holes also determine the level of the fluid within that chamber. The use of an automotive pump such as THIS just might be the ticket.

hot dog. Thanks netdoc.

Those horizontal holes seem like a bad design for something sitting in the water.

catherine96821:
hot dog. Thanks netdoc.

Depending on the fluid in question, it's sometimes sold in a bottle that's similar to a catsup squeeze bottle. If it isn't you can transfer some to a clean, dry squeeze bottle. Nice thing about this is they are cheap, and there's nothing to clean up or store, just throw it away when done. You can usually "roll up" the bottle like big tube of toothpaste.

That's way I buy 90 weight if I need to fill a differential.

Tobin

yes, it came in a toothpaste looking big tube but the tip point still doesn't seal to the resevoir opening and I think I am supposed to add some and then run the engine up and down to get any air out and then add more.

The mechanic told me I should pull the boat out, but that would cost a lot since we don't have a trailor. If I can get a seal, then the spilling won't happen maybe. I'll get somebody to hold a rag under it. That thing Pete posted might be found at west marine or an auto store. I was picturing an IV bag or something.. I do need to seal though.

Catherine,
Are you sure it is the trim fluid level OR the leg oil that is low?
Regular ATF (automatic transmission fluid) for the trim should work.
But if its the leg oil itself, I'd recommend synthetic gear oil.
BE SURE before adding anything.....
and the pump that Netdoc linked will do the job. I have sevral and they screw on to a quart jug, West Marine should have what you need.

oh, okay. Well, it's not the hydraulic motor. It's the transmission fluid that goes in the trim/lift system that lifts the marine outboard keg out of the water. I think. I will check. He told me which hole it goes in...

Isn't the leg oil for the lower end unit? the prop? The boat runs great, I just can't lift one of the engines out electrically. A couple guys have to lift it

Got pictures? Alot of the engine or drive trim/tilt mechinisms and where the fluid is are located in the boat.

catherine96821:
oh, okay. Well, it's not the hydraulic motor. It's the transmission fluid that goes in the trim/lift system that lifts the marine outboard keg out of the water. I think. I will check. He told me which hole it goes in...

Isn't the leg oil for the lower end unit? the prop? The boat runs great, I just can't lift one of the engines out electrically. A couple guys have to lift it

Are you sure it's low fluid that's the only problem? Hydraulic fluid is not consumed, if the fluid is low you have leak. What actuates the trim pump? Is it electric? If so do you hear the pump running, but nothing moves? Could be valves. If you have an electric pump and you don't hear it running, could be swtiches, wiring, etc.

If the fluid level is good, and the pump is running, might be valving.

Low fluid would normally start to evidence it's self by moving the motor, but not all the way out of the water.

Good luck,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom