Is Silfra ok for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SelkieDVM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello. My mom wants me to go to Iceland with her for a few days next year. From what I've heard, Silfra is highly recommended. Aside from the cold issue, is this a suitable dive for a newbie if guided? I dived in a dry suit once, and could possibly get my dry suit cert by then. I'll likely have 50-100 dives by then, mostly off NC and in the Caribbean.

Thanks,
Lilla

Silfra is colder than just any "cold water". What I've heard is it's about 2-4 degrees Celsius year round, and since it's fresh water also, as a fresh drysuit diver you will have some issues to cope with.

A cert doesn't really do the trick, but it helps you getting started. Then afterwards how much cold water training you get is what matters. You will benefit A LOT from experience. Don't think about taking the "light" version, or else you'll ruin a good (and expensive) day in Island.

Thanks for your input. I think you're right and that I should get some cold water experience first. Besides it might freak Mom out a bit.

L

Silfra is a great place for beginners, but I higly recommend going there with someone how knows it. Drysuit is also higly recommended (must) because water temp there is 2 deg celcius, same in the winter or summer. Diving in Silfra is not complex diving place but there are caves in it and you can reach depths around 40 meters. But the place is stunning in a good weather.

Homepage for diving in Iceland and Silfra
http://www.divingiceland.is/

Link article about diving in Iceland
http://www.dive.is/images/iceland.pdf

Thank you, Delta. Maybe I'll give it a go with an appropriate guide and of course a drysuit. We thinking about coming in July - would this be a good time of year? Any other recommendation must-dos topside while in Iceland?

Well July is a good month here in Iceland, but last sommer was not so good, actualy I fellt like it was always raining, but I´m hopefull that next summer will be much better. Going to Thingvalla (were Silfra is) is a stunning place in the right weather. Blue Lagoon is also a must. We do have a good tourist information here, it all depends on your interest. Hope you have a great time in Iceland.

Do you think one can dive Silfra, the cathedral section and the lagoon in one dive?

Thanks.

Well Tracy I´m not shure of it, I´ve never dived the cathedral section myself. But I know divers who has and I´ve always thought that cathedral section was a single dive, maybe not. But like I said there are many caves and tunnels in Silfra and many of them which I´ve never dived into. In some of them you can get a depth up 40 to 60meters. But major part of Silfra has very comfortable depth.

Excellent, thank you for that information Delta much appreciated.

Cool......thread! I was just reading about Silfra today in the PADI Undersea Journal. Great article titled "A dive between two continents". So I have a few general questions about the place.

Any idea how much flights are from NY?
Is there enough dive time to warrant a trip just to dive the place? Maybe combine it with ocean diving? I would definately do some topside exploration as well.
Is the best time to go summer, July like mentioned previously?
Is springtime doable? Places to stay, costs?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom