Normal Fins vs Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Advokat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,I currently dive with cheap low quality fins and now I'm looking to get something of high quality. Is there much difference of split fins vs normal fins diving?What are advantages and disadvantages?thanks!

My IDC instructor (a crazy Navy Seal guy) called split fins "weenie fins."

:popcorn:

There are several big debates on this board, you just picked one of them. In a nut shell, there are those who love them and those who do not ,so there is no real good answer to your question. The best answer is for you to try a couple of pairs of them and see if YOU like them. After all, your the one who has to use them. I would also suggest you try some quality blade fins as well.
Personally, I prefer a quality blade fin.

I agree, first do a search and read to your heart's content. THEN before you buy anything based on anyone's recommendation alone, TRY THE DIFFERENT TYPES in the pool. Not just one pair of splits and one pair of paddles, but the different brands as well. Find the fins you like best and buy them. Who cares what the rest of us wear?

Many threads on this....you should search this forum...

My head is going to explode.

As mentioned above this is one of the big "hot" button topics on the board - you might start here http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=162021 as for doing a search, try searching on split vs paddle fins in the fin forum.

Have fun deciding :)

Aloha, Tim

things to remember about 'search' - if you're searching for something with fewer than 4 letters, use the wildcard '*', like 'DIR*' or you won't get results.

also, if you find any thread that's close, read it then look at the very bottom to the place with 'similar threads'. like at the bottom of this thread - several with similar titles and hopefully helpful information. that's a great way to surf scubaboard!

and plain ol' ordinary jetfins. there are no other acceptable options. :wink:

to save the time of a search all i have to say is IMO split fins are fine for drift dives and such where you are just kinda coasting along, when you need to be more precise in your movements there is nothing like a pair of stiff, solid blade fins

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom