Are there alligators in springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaIvan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all. I am still pretty new to diving and not the most knowlegable in wildlife. My questions is are there alligators in springs that we go diving in (i.e. Ginnie, Alexander, Rainbow, etc.) Is it too cold for them they are reptiles and are cold blooded. How do we go about avoiding them any suggestions or thoughts. Has anyone come across one? *GULP*

Thanks.

There was one in hanging out at Peacock earlier this year. It was a little creepy to finish your dive and see it looking at you 10 feet away.

One of the Park Rangers claimed that snorkelers had been petting it! :11: Needless to say they relocated it.

In Florida there is a chance for an alligator in any body of water.
The more popular and crowded springs ( Ginnie) have fewer or none than the lesser visited springs (Peacock) but there still may be a gator around even with crowds (Alexander). The vast majority of them will leave you alone if you do the same.

Spring time is mating season and they become more aggressive. I have come across several while river diving and kayaking and never had a problem.

Always buddy up with a slower diver......it gives you the edge. :)
Swim with a lot of people.......takes the gator longer to decide so again you have the edge. :)

I asked this same question when I started diving and here is what I was told
Depending on the size of the gators present you should perhaps carry a "Gator Bell" to warn them of your presence and some pepper spray for defense. To figure out the size of the gators present though, you have to inspect their poop. Gators under 12 ft have poop that is small to a moderate in size with a normal smell. Gators larger than 12 ft have a much larger poop with tiny little bells and it smells like pepper spray.

Someone told me that there was a gator at morrison springs so large that it was eating the cattle from the local farms! Makes me wonder what REALLY dug that hole that they call a "natural spring".

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom