Sticky Zoom Lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm having a problem with the new Canon SP-DC16 case bought last month for my Canon A720 IS. I've used the case on 35 dives and everything was as smooth as silk for the first 20 or so dives but then the zoom lever started to stick and not always return to its center position when I released it.

Has anyone had a similar problem Canon, Olympus or other similar housings? If so, do you have any recommendations. The post that is attached to the zoom lever, because of its location, is not very accessible if I were to want to attempt the silicon on a stick trick.

Thanks for the help.

Rickg

First thing to do is give the housing a really good rinse, without the camera, and while it's under work all the buttons and dials about 50 times. You might have a little salt on the o-ring or something. If that doesn't get it, I've dripped a little liquid silicone on my shaft, but you have to be careful because some of the o-rings are silicon base and the liquid silicone can soften or melt them. I was having a problem with sticky shutter button on my Oly housing. Eventually, I modified it for a bulkhead, so I just had it serviced while it was in. They replaced 4 o-rings and I haven't had a problem since.

Larry C,

Thanks for the response. I will give the case another good extended soaking. I was religious about soaking the camera in the camera rinse tank and then following up with a rinse in the shower but maybe it wasn't long enough duration.

Appreciate the advice.

Rickg

Along the lines of what Larry stated, I have Olympus housings and about every six months or so I place a drop of pure liquid silicone on the exterior side of every control plunger, lever and dial then work the silicone in. You can feel the difference almost immediately. I have been doing this for four years with no problems.

Also as Larry stated, silicone grease/liquid is not compatible with silicone material O-rings. It will break them down. I know this from first hand experience with the main housing O-ring. The control O-rings are apparently not silicone.

Along the lines of what Larry stated, I have Olympus housings and about every six months or so I place a drop of pure liquid silicone on the exterior side of every control plunger, lever and dial then work the silicone in. You can feel the difference almost immediately. I have been doing this for four years with no problems.

Gilligan,

Thanks for the tip. Can you give me an example of a brand name that you use? I have a spray silicon that I use for other things but that would be overkill for what you describe.

Thanks again for the advice.

Rickg

Gilligan,

Thanks for the tip. Can you give me an example of a brand name that you use? I have a spray silicon that I use for other things but that would be overkill for what you describe.

Thanks again for the advice.

Rickg

I use the Trident brand spray silicone from a dive shop. I put some in the cap or other small cup then apply it to the controls with a toothpick.

I use the Trident brand spray silicone from a dive shop. I put some in the cap or other small cup then apply it to the controls with a toothpick.

Gilligan,

Roger that - now I understand how you got about doing it. Thanks again for the advice and hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Rickg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom