Puerto Vallarta Report 6/19/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LLKZ16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Date: 6/19/08
Dive Location: Puerto Vallarta (Los Arcos)
Time: 9:49 am & 11:06 pm
Bottom Time: 49 min & 55 min
Max Depth: 90 & 80 fsw
Vis: 20-30 feet
Wave height: N/A Boat
Temp at depth: 78F
Surface Temp: 87F

For vacation this year, we decided to sign up for the Disney Cruise (3 Kids Yikes!!!) because they were offering a Mexican Rivera tour once again for the summer months. The last time we did this was 2 summers ago for the 50th Anniversary and we had such a nice time, we decided to do it again.

Dive Stop #2 was Puerto Vallarta. The only other time I have been to PV was on the last Disney Cruise I took. I did not do any research and I took the cattle boat through the cruise excursion people. This was a BIG mistake. I ended up being the second DM helping people who have not been diving for a year. I really did not get a chance to relax and dive. This time I did some research and picked PV Scuba. Alex is a great guy. He is very knowledgeable and he is one of the only dive OP’s that carries STEEL TANKS!!! That said, the highest fill you are going to get down there is 3000 psi. I had about 2650 and 2780 on the two steel 100’s taken on the boat. Because I was the only person for the day at PV Scuba, Alex arranged for me to go with Leslie from Local Divers Of Puerto Vallarta. Alex made sure that all of the plans with Leslie worked out fine.

Our trip for the day was to dive Los Arcos. This is just a short trip from the main marina. On the way to Los Arcos, we picked up the 2 other people that Leslie was taking care of for the week. The seas were calm and the 4 of us motored over to Los Arcos very quickly. All of us on the boat were experienced divers so I was looking forward to 2 relaxing dives.

Leslie really knows her stuff. She is a great person and a very good DM. I could tell that we were all in very good hands. The water temps here were much better then Cabo. I used a 5 mill and I could have actually used my 1 mill.

For the first dive, we hit the Devils Canyon. This is a nice wall and pinnacle. We circled it twice looking at all of the flora and fauna. There was only a slight surge and the visibility was GREAT! For the second dive, we went to an area I think was called Angles or Heavens something or another (I forgot). This dive was a bit more surgy in the shallows but non the less, a great place to go. When we first splashed down, we saw a Sea Turtle about 30 yards away. I went after it but only got a short movie clip. Towards the mid end of the dive, Leslie spotted the FIRST SEA HORSE OF THE SEASON!!! I was soooooo happy to see this little critter. I took a ton of pictures in super macro mode but only a few came out OK.

Below are a collection of shots from both dives:

Video of Sea Turtle On The Move - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Puffer261908.jpg

Urchin161908.jpg

StoneFish261908.jpg

JewelMoray161908.jpg

Octo161908.jpg

Coral261908.jpg

PanamaGraysby61908.jpg

SeaCucumber61908.jpg

PacificMuttonHamlet61908.jpg

FeatherDusterWorm261908.jpg

OrangeCupCoral261908.jpg

OrangeCupCoral361908.jpg

SeaHorse261908.jpg

SeaHorse461908.jpg

Video of Zebra Eel Out In The Open - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is a direct link to the Gallery:
LLKZ16/Puerto Vallarta 61908 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I am also going to be diving in Puerto Vallarta soon and really enjoyed your pictures. What type of camera did you use to take them? Thank you!!

I am also going to be diving in Puerto Vallarta soon and really enjoyed your pictures. What type of camera did you use to take them? Thank you!!

I use an Olympus SP-350 with the Olympus PT-030 housing.

I especially liked the photo on Photobucket of the starfish and the jewel moray. I've been to Baja many times, so I always enjoy seeing pictures of eastern Pacific marine life. It's a unique fauna that a lot of people don't appreciate.

Back
Top Bottom