I'm addicted but non-divers don't care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJoy65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm addicted to diving. It's all I can think about when I'm not focused on tasks at hand. And I want to share my passion with others. Unfortunately, unless a person is a fellow diver they don't get it. And some fellow divers don't get it either unless they are truly hooked.

I'm taken aback by this and wonder how others have handled such encounters. Any tales or tips? Fun and sarcastic repartee welcome.

:scubadiver

Try showing a BIG stack of UW pic's to a (group of)non diver(s) :rofl3:
Just no way to get your feelings across.Just kick them into a diveshop,to do a intro dive.:D

Well we do! There are plenty of divers here to share your excitement with. You might check your local forum and see if you can meet and dive with others in your area. If not, start a club! Have fun and keep the enthusiasm level high!

Try showing a BIG stack of UW pic's to a (group of)non diver(s) :rofl3:
Just no way to get your feelings across.Just kick them into a diveshop,to do a intro dive.:D
Thanks. I just had to share my frustration. I have a blog where I've captured what I've been experiencing on my dives. It's obvious people are being kind when they listen and view it. Guess it's almost analogous to sharing pictures of that cute baby or dog, ay? :)

Guess it's almost analogous to sharing pictures of that cute baby or dog, ay? :)

Yep you got the point.:D
They listen and smile,say ohh or ahh but they just DON'T get our feeling.:depressed:

Hey let them live in their world,so we can live in our's.:rofl4:

Those who have not experienced such an addiction will never understand. You need to attend meetings, this is a good place to start. Then you just get your compressed gas fix as often as possible. Their loss, the planet's surface is 70% water.

I usually get the response of 'I've always thought that was so cool, but I'm afraid of (insert imaginary problem here). If someone asks, I'll show the pictures and that will get oohhss and ahhhhs. for a bit.
You're right, though. To really appreciate it they have to go there.....

I'm addicted to diving. It's all I can think about when I'm not focused on tasks at hand. And I want to share my passion with others. Unfortunately, unless a person is a fellow diver they don't get it. And some fellow divers don't get it either unless they are truly hooked.

I'm taken aback by this and wonder how others have handled such encounters. Any tales or tips? Fun and sarcastic repartee welcome.

:scubadiver

I definatly feel your pain. My current dive buddy got me into it, and now i wanna dive way more than he does. He doesn't seem to get it, niether does my gf for that matter. The non divers in our world will never understand what it is like. Im with those who say "just whip out the u/w pix", they do tend to get all the ohhhs and ahhs! hopefully this next season ill have a new regular dive buddy who doesnt constantly complain about having to go diving.

I'm a newb and just got carded along with my wife :D. The first words out of my mom's mouth were "Aren't you scared?" My answer was, "Scared of what?" :lol: I told her to tell me what I should be scared of and I will consider being scared of it but until then ... watch out for my bubbles! :wink:

I love to dive but I have to admit that after a few hundred dives in the north east it starts to get old and I was so addicted at one point that I NEVER thought I would say that it was getting old. Now, if diving consistently involved less drive time and work to get to the water for me, I probably wouldn't feel this way. Honestly though, if I dive at Dutch Springs ONE MORE TIME I will puke! At least the salt water still holds some passion for me here locally. I will also still dive any day say in Bonaire but my passion for cold water diving is starting to decrease. We all go through phases I guess.

I remember hearing a diver at Dutch Springs years ago suiting up in her dry suit talking about how it was starting to get old for her after 10 years. I thought she was INSANE at the time as I had about 35 dives myself and all I thought about was diving diving diving. Well, drink enough really good wine and the cheap stuff can start to taste well...cheap. And this is coming from a guy who has logged dives in mud puddles.:wink:

For some of you nuts though with 1000 dives and going, I say rock on my bubble blowing buddies!:D

Back
Top Bottom