First Stage with 1/2" LP Port- What do YOU do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score
So what do you do with the 1/2" ports?

I am collecting USD SEA first stages and Old Apeks 1st stages and they both have the annoying 1/2" lp ports. So what do you do with those? Do you plug them, or adapt them?

Here is an adapter if you need one:
1/2" Male to 3/8" Female Regulator Adapter (AA48) from LeisurePro.com

I would use the adapter and keep all LP hoses with the standard 3/8" fitting.

AQUHAB.jpg

If I happen to not be using that port, what's your feeling on leaving that adaptor (thanks for the link to that BTW) in, and just plugging it?

Some will say that you are adding one extra O-ring that can fail, but being that it is a static, tightly captured O-ring (if properly installed), I don’t see any problem with that.

I would probably live the adapter in place if I ever think that I may want to use that port. That way I know it is already a standard 3/8” LP port.

I use many vintage regulators with 3/8” HP ports and I often have to use adapters to the 7/16” fitting. I have never had a problem with an adaptor.

I have that adapter on one of my recreational APEKS regulators. I'd rather have a single hose, however, as mentioned it's captured and risk of failure is minimal to none. I'd think there is more risk of failure in the Orings at the connection between the hose and your second stages.

I say use the adapter if you already have the hose.

Is Dive Rite express the only place to get 1/2" port plugs? I cannot seem to google this effectively.

I have that adapter on one of my recreational APEKS regulators. I'd rather have a single hose, however, as mentioned it's captured and risk of failure is minimal to none. I'd think there is more risk of failure in the Orings at the connection between the hose and your second stages.

I say use the adapter if you already have the hose.

Agree with Randy and Luis H.

Since 3/8" LP hose is more widely available than 1/2", I decided to use the 1/2 --> 3/8 adapter. I'm using the adapter on a couple of Mares Abyss regs (they have 1/2" port size for primary LP ports) so that I could use 3/8" 5' Miflex hoses.

Beano, you might try calling ScubaToys. They sell and service Mares regs, and thus may have the 1/2" port plugs for them.

Good luck.

I use the 1/2" port on my gals reg for a Halcyon 7' hose. The H hoses are some of the most flexible out there without being to flexible (Mi-flex).

So what do you do with the 1/2" ports?

I am collecting USD SEA first stages and Old Apeks 1st stages and they both have the annoying 1/2" lp ports. So what do you do with those? Do you plug them, or adapt them?

Most online places have these adapters, even LP.

Give them a call, or shoot 'em an email.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom