Jet Fins - how far should one's heel protrude past the foot pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Nothing else to add really. I've bought some Ls and they seem small. But XL everything else is too big for me. So, just how far should the protrude in an ideal fit (wet boot in my case).

TIA,
J

The heel of my foot sticks out quite a bit. Much further than I'd actually like but that's the fin. I have small feet (7 womens) and am using the Large Jets. I've always felt like the foot pocket is not tall enough (its wide enough) to stick your foot in far enough.

I originally bought the XL but my foot was then able to move side to side in the pocket. It was awkward, wasted energy, and made my foot really sore! Now I end up with dead space in the front and my heel sticking out but my kick ability is not affected.

Miranda

Nothing else to add really. I've bought some Ls and they seem small. But XL everything else is too big for me. So, just how far should the protrude in an ideal fit (wet boot in my case).

TIA,
J

I recently got some and when I tried them on the shop person stood on the end and told me to wiggle my foot. The XL I could wiggle my foot around and the L was fine (I have smallish feet size 7 but bulky boots). Anyway, that is how I measured fit (I tried with my wetsuit boots and also my drysuit boots). Very comfortable to use in the water with both wettie + drysuit. My foot fits in up to my ankle. Can you find a place that will let you loan a few sizes to try out?

It's not how much of your foot sticks out, it's whether the fin is stable on your foot, and whether it comes far enough back on the foot so that you can easily transmit force through it. Anything behind the heads of the metatarsals (ball of the foot) ought to be fine, as long as the fin is really solid on your foot.

Your toe needs to touch the front of the fin, if the boot is too large or the fin too small, the fin will be hanging on your toes and will feel like it is going to fall off when kicking. Some dive boots have wide thick soles and you might need to grind down the edge of the sole at the widest part of your foot (just a little) to allow total insertion of your foot. The sizing is often very dependent on the type of boot and sole used.

You need to try the fins on with the specific boots that you will wear. I wear size 11 shoe and can wear L jet fins with a thin boot, with minimal sole. I prefer an XL fin for the larger blade rather than the larger foot pocket, so for the XL I need a boot with a more substantial sole, (but I still might need to grind it down a little on a bench grinder.).

I had the same problem (L too small, XL too big)

As per dumpster's post above, the key is fitting your boot (rather than your foot) to the size (ie use a boot with a large, hard sole and XLs, or a boot with a a smaller/more flexible/ground down sole and Ls)

This may mean changing the brand/style of boots you currently wear to ensure a nice fit (that's what I had to do)

Probably not what you want to do (buy new boots) but worth it to get the right fit

Lots...if you are coming from a true full-foot support fin, your foot will feel naked as hell. I originally came from Avanti Quattros...

You soon learn to take advantage of all that extra ankle play in your frog kick....

Here's another recommendation for making sure that you choose the right bootie. I wear XL Jets, which fit the Turbo Soles on my drysuit perfectly. When diving wet (even in warm water), I use 5mm booties with a wide, flat sole, which also fit the fin quite well. I experience no excessive wiggling in the foot pocket with either configuration.

It may be worth mentioning that if you convert to spring heels (which I would recommend) of a good design, they will have cave line in them that limits the maximum heel protrusion - which may answer your question, indirectly

It may be worth mentioning that if you convert to spring heels (which I would recommend) of a good design, they will have cave line in them that limits the maximum heel protrusion
Actually, I think the main purpose of the cave line is to prevent the springs from becoming over-extended and permanently stretched. It does also have the effect of limiting heel protrusion, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom