wetsuit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

konacoffeediver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I just completed my AOW last sunday. I have finally pieced all my gear together except for a wetsuit. Ive been diving with rentals which are deep see 3mm shortie and john. I like the shortie but I still have some practicing to do with my bouyancy and have hit my leg on coral a few times. So now ive decided that full suit is the way to go. Water around Kona is about 75 degrees year round. Ive been leaning towards the Pinnacle cruiser 5mm on leisure pro. Gonna go to LDS and try them on.

Would a 5mm be too warm? I figure the 3mm shortie plus john that ive been wearing equals 6mm at the core. When I went on my first night dive I did get a little chilled. Most of my male instructors have worn 3mm suits and most of the female DM's wear 5mm. Is there a big difference from the 3mm to 5mm suits.

thanks for any feedback

I love my Mares Trilastic 5-4-3. It has been comfortable and very easy to move in. Like KathyDee said, it all depends on how cold you get during your dives. I dive in water from the mid 60's to high 70's in my 5mil. I also wear a 5mil hood. Definitely try on a few and see what works best for you.

Good luck!
Carolyn:shark2:

Welcome to Scuba Board.

Wetsuit warmth is first and foremost fit.. then material.

Any loose area will cause water to flush in and out of the suit.

Some people are easy to fit, others...not so. Kathydeee had to try on all sorts of different brands to find a good fit. Me, not so much.

Wearing a shorty and getting jabbed now and then should make you a better diver by making you more aware of where the bottom is. Personally, I don't want anything on my arms or legs. The coldest I have dove is in 63 degree bottom water on the Speigle Grove last winter in a 2mm shorty. The surface water was 73 degrees and it was a little chilly. Next dive, shallow reef, I put on a 2mm vest with the shorty and overheated. I guess some people feel the cold more than others. In my case, so long as I keep the skin on my sides warm, I'm OK. Another couple things that I can't stand to wear is a hood or booties. The hoods are too restrictive and the booties feel like mush. So it's bald head and open-toed Force Fins for me.

Remember, can always add skins(~$40US) underneath a shortie....Will give you all the protection you need & still keep you aware of needed proper bouyancy ie you'll feel the reef, lol.........

Ive been leaning towards the Pinnacle cruiser 5mm on leisure pro. Gonna go to LDS and try them on.

thanks for any feedback

I hope I read this wrong, but if the intention is to purchase from leisurepro, going to the LDS to try it on is exactly why so many LDS owners dislike online buyers. If you're taking advantage of the LDS services, they deserve your business.

So I just completed my AOW last sunday. I have finally pieced all my gear together except for a wetsuit. Ive been diving with rentals which are deep see 3mm shortie and john. I like the shortie but I still have some practicing to do with my bouyancy and have hit my leg on coral a few times. So now ive decided that full suit is the way to go. Water around Kona is about 75 degrees year round. Ive been leaning towards the Pinnacle cruiser 5mm on leisure pro. Gonna go to LDS and try them on.

Would a 5mm be too warm? I figure the 3mm shortie plus john that ive been wearing equals 6mm at the core. When I went on my first night dive I did get a little chilled. Most of my male instructors have worn 3mm suits and most of the female DM's wear 5mm. Is there a big difference from the 3mm to 5mm suits.

thanks for any feedback

You do not really get too warm underwater. You lose heat as the temperature is lower than your body temperature. You can only overheat on the surface. Last time I was diving the wetsuit it was 6 mil full with a hood, we dove in Marcelle in 75 F water. I was chilled at the end of the dive. If you are going to dive a lot get a full 5 mil with a hood. You do not really appreciate the hood until you start diving with it. After I have tried I do not really want to dive without it :) Also I would not buy any suit online as you cannot feel it and check how it fits and for the wetsuit its important.

Wearing a shorty and getting jabbed now and then should make you a better diver by making you more aware of where the bottom is. Personally, I don't want anything on my arms or legs. The coldest I have dove is in 63 degree bottom water on the Speigle Grove last winter in a 2mm shorty. The surface water was 73 degrees and it was a little chilly. Next dive, shallow reef, I put on a 2mm vest with the shorty and overheated. I guess some people feel the cold more than others. In my case, so long as I keep the skin on my sides warm, I'm OK. Another couple things that I can't stand to wear is a hood or booties. The hoods are too restrictive and the booties feel like mush. So it's bald head and open-toed Force Fins for me.

Amen! I always see so much written about how much wetsuit protection you need for EVERYTHING, and I never understood why. Glad to see a more experienced diver that's of a differing opinion. I'm the same way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom