Huracan Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johna65

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I am going to be in Belize for 3 weeks in Jan. and I wanted to end my trip with 1 week on one of the outer Cayes. I have been looking at Huracan on Long Caye & I was wondering if anyone has been there recently. If so care to share some info?

My wife and I spent 4 days with them around Xmas time last year. I'm more of a land lubber,
so I vetoed my wife's initial plan to spend more time on what is after all a fairly remote island. Well, looking back, I would've gladly traded 6 rather disappointing days in Placencia for more time on Long Caye.

The website gives a pretty accurate picture of the base, accommodations, and surroundings. People-wise, we met an eclectic bunch of local workers; property owners from the US; and of course the Huracan team which consists of dive instructor Karel, hostess Ruth, and boat captain Frenchie. Karel is one of those guys competent and confident enough to run a tight ship without becoming overbearing. He definitely knows all the major sites, including the Blue Hole, which is 15 minutes by boat, and in his free time is out there looking for new spots. This being a fairly recent outfit the (rental) equipment is brand new, which was a welcome reprieve from the ragtag collection I usually have to make do with.

Frenchie's boat is a decommissioned water taxi that used to make runs between Belize City and San Pedro, which means plenty of space on board but also a somewhat narrow water exit and entry near the boat's twin engine. From what I've heard, though, Huracan recently added another vessel, which should make the whole procedure less involved.

The guest rooms at Huracan are basic with a large shower-equipped bathroom. No door between the sleeping area and the bathroom; so, if you share, you'd better get along. Ruth takes care of all your needs on base, including food and laundry. She's pretty much available 24/7 and will go out of her way to accommodate any requests you might have.

All in all, we were pleasantly surprised by the level of professionalism and dedication displayed by all members of the Huracan crew. (So surprised, actually, that we've already booked a full week for Dec. '09.) Of course, being the only guests at that time, we were a little spoiled for choice both off and on board, so if you come up against a full house, things might get a little more hectic.

HTH

Mike

I've looked into Huracan, too, but my husband is a flyfisherman so we always choose places I can dive and he can fish. Did you see or hear anything about fishing that might help me? He's not really interested in guided fishing, just fishing the flats walkable or kayakable distances from where we're staying. Thanks in advance for any info...

Check out Thatch Caye near South Water Caye, we stayed there at the beginning of the year and loved every minute of it.......

Thought I'd send an update regarding Huracan Diving based on our mid January 2010 week long dive trip. We booked a week of diving in Lighthouse Reef Atoll and choose Huracan Diving based on trip advisor reviews of their B&B/Dive Shop. We had a fabulous week of diving and a great time at the B&B. In 6 days I logged 19 dives, 2 in the Blue Hole, 2 night dives, and the rest off walls of Long Caye or Half Moon Caye. If you love EYE CANDY...Lighthouse Reef Atoll has it in abundance! You can check out my tripadvisor review (username JohnLinda99) and my Youtube dive videos (username mrslinda99) and see for yourself.

YouTube - Lighthouse Reef Atoll - Huracan Diving- Part 1- Reef Life – Huracan Diving Belize Part 1
YouTube - Lighthouse Reef Atoll - Huracan Diving - Part 2 - Rays, Eels, Turtles and Barracuda – Huracan Diving Belize Part 2

IT WAS ALL GOOD!!!!! Cheers! Linda

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom