Full face mask recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steelsaint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking into getting a full face mask with possible com system attachment. Is there any recommendations or any I should stay away from?
Basically it use will be for recreation diving and to perform Underwater marriage ceremonies.

I use to use a OceanReef FFM and I really liked it. I ended up no longer using it after a while because I always had an issue with it leaking air out of it once I became fully inverted (ie. looking under rocks or parts of shipwrecks looking for bugs) I spoke to several LDS and even OceanReef but no one seemed to be able to identify/remedy the problem.

A couple things to remember. You will need an adjustable reg to go along with your FFM. In addition, you need to carry a spare mask with you in case the reg on the FMM malfunctions and you need to bail out of it.

I read where some masks can be used with any regulator. Is it just this model mask or is it the whole line of Ocean reef masks?

It's certainly possible. I haven't used a FFM in quite a number of years and haven't kept up with them. If the manufacturer states they don't need an adjustable reg, then I would go with that.

I have an OTS Guardian. It's very comfortable compared to the other ones I've tried. The communication system is also very high quality.

With the OTS Guardian, Does it make a difference if its positive pressure vs. non-positive pressure? Will one go through your air supply quicker? Can it be used on a 1st stage regulator I already have?

The Guardian is semi-positive pressure, as soon as your under the water it becomes positive pressure but not while you're at the surface. Positive pressure will go through your supply a bit quicker. (Guardian isn't offered PP) It should work with most first stages.

And they are more comfortable than the AGA's. :D

Guardians have a recall, check into the AGA (Interspiro Divator), it is rock solid reliable and used by most Public Safety Teams. They aren't uncomfortable, just make sure that you get the swivel at the 2nd stage, it really helps with mobility.

The issue with the Guardian should be resolved pretty quickly.

OTS is actually recommending against the swivels now- they've had a couple of recalls and the potential problem still exists. (Camming can unscrew the swivel while in use.

The maintenance costs on the Guardian should be significantly lower for the Guardian.

See if you can find anyone in your area that stocks one or both and try them out is you can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom