Padi or BSAC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemoncloud

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

at my current place, Doha I can chose between a Padi course and a course from the local branch of the British Sub Aqua club. The BSAC is cheaper, and the diving course include a club membership with would allow me to go diving with those guys. The alternative probably is to go on dives organised by local 5-star hotels, which probably are quite pricey. Of course I can also do a Padi course and still become a member of the BSAC.

The Brits have material for joining if one did a Padi course. But what about the other way around? How recognised is the BSAC worldwide? I'm mainly wondering because I'll move to Denmark early next year for a short period, and then hopefully to a different country every few years and I don't want to end up with a brevet which I cannot use outside this organization. If both are equally recognised then I'd chose the cheaper one. I don't see myself buying own diving equipment anytime soon.

What would you do?

BSAC is a much more rigorous and thorough course. It is accepted all over the world - so no problems there. Assuming that you have a good instructor, I would pick BSAC over PADI for certification. I have yet to see a poorly trained BSAC diver.

BSAC is a much more rigorous and thorough course. It is accepted all over the world - so no problems there. Assuming that you have a good instructor, I would pick BSAC over PADI for certification. I have yet to see a poorly trained BSAC diver.

Ah, some good information here. Thanks a lot. I've never heard about BSAC before to be honest. What I'm wondering is if I can join them, and go diving with a Padi base on holiday for example. Or do, to name something, a cave diving course with Padi if I live at a place where no BSAC branch is available. My job does bring me to places where I might not have a choice

As mentioned previously, BSAC is a (well) recognized SCUBA certification agency. PADI facilities will accept your c-card should you choose to take additional courses from them.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

I've found BSAC much more thorough training-wise than SSI (the other main place I've done training with and pretty much the same as PADI). I'd go with BSAC, personally.

I agree with the majority votes for BSAC over PADI.

BSAC will train you to a higher level than PADI (not very hard to do). Both agencies re recognized world wide.

What I'm wondering is if I can join them, and go diving with a Padi base on holiday for example. Or do, to name something, a cave diving course with Padi if I live at a place where no BSAC branch is available. My job does bring me to places where I might not have a choice

I do not believe that PADI offers cave courses.

BSAC is accepted all over the world. After you complete your BSAC Open Water, you will be able to do other PADI courses too. Personally, I would avail myself of BSAC instruction as much as possible. I did some training with BSAC and it was light years better than anything that I've received from PADI or SSI. BSAC is a non-profit; The others are motivated to get maximum $$ from you.

Hello,

at my current place, Doha I can chose between a Padi course and a course from the local branch of the British Sub Aqua club. The BSAC is cheaper, and the diving course include a club membership with would allow me to go diving with those guys. The alternative probably is to go on dives organised by local 5-star hotels, which probably are quite pricey. Of course I can also do a Padi course and still become a member of the BSAC.

The Brits have material for joining if one did a Padi course. But what about the other way around? How recognised is the BSAC worldwide? I'm mainly wondering because I'll move to Denmark early next year for a short period, and then hopefully to a different country every few years and I don't want to end up with a brevet which I cannot use outside this organization. If both are equally recognised then I'd chose the cheaper one. I don't see myself buying own diving equipment anytime soon.

What would you do?

First & foremost, do some research on the INSTRUCTORS. Get references. Follow up on them. Choose an Instructor who will help you achieve your goals in a way that fits with YOU personally.

DO NOT choose a course based on price.
DO NOT choose a course based on agency.

BOTH BSAC and PADI are recognized world wide. However, PADI does not do a CAVE course, only cavern. I don't know if BSAC does cave... you'll have to ask them.

Thanks a lot for your answers. I will have to go to the BSAC club evening as they only offer all the info I want on a members only website, and likewise they don't give a contact telephone number on their public website *sigh* On the other hand it might be easier to find diving buddies amongst Westerners. I had to do an offshore survival course with some regional people who refused to do certain exercises with me, being a woman.

One question I definitely have for the BSAC is if they have sufficient diving material to rent out, and in my size. I don't see myself buying everything right now, and especially not as I'll go from tropical to cold water, to unknown within less than 1.5 years.

And I'd also like to know if I need to do the dives within a certain time or not. I'm often away for work, and sometimes rather unplanned. Availability of those basic dives might be a problem with a smaller club.

re Cave: was just an example. Could not come up with anything else O_O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom