How to keep water out of your nose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paintballjla

Reaction score
ok well i started doing my pool dives today the only problem i had was when you have to breath for a minute with out your mask on. what are good techniques for keeping water out of you nose, i have tryed inhaling through mouth and exhaling through my nose that make me want to breath in my nose after exhaling. the problem i am having is that a small amount of water comes in the tip of my nose and it makes me want to blow it out witch gets more in after i blow it out. any suggestions.

I have found that breathing through your mouth and keeping your chin tucked down will help. If you continue to have difficulty check with your instructor. Keep trying and you'll get it.

Breath in and out through the regulator and just keep a little positive pressure in your nose (breath out from your nose just enough to keep the water level from entering your nose).

I find that if i close my eyes i do not want to breathe through my nose, no idea why, it just works for me.

Greetings paintballjla and welcome to SB! Your issue is a common one and will improve with more practice. The biggest hurdle is to relax and focus on breathing through your regulator. It will take a little while to "train your brain" that as long as your reg is in the air is not a problem. I to had this issue and it does improve with practice at home. I wore my mask in the shower, watching TV, etc. just to train myself to breath through my mouth not my nose. One of the most helpful practice skills yet I have learned is to use no mask at all and breath through your regulator in a pool while supervised of coarse in a controlled environment. If you want to practice on your own use your snorkel. This gets your brain used to breathing underwater while water is held out of your nose by a little air pressure. You might exhale through your nose at times but it will get better and soon you will be rockin! Please believe me when I say this I was the worst nose breather in history! No joke it took a entire pool session to get me through the mask skills. If it had not been for a determined instructor and dm I would have given up. It cost me extra time but the reward was like nothing I have ever experienced. Stick to your guns and commit to conquering this hurdle it will be a mole hill very soon! Keep us posted on your progress.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

kitchen sink full of warm water - snorkel only (no mask) - face in water - breathe

This is good advice, and it might possibly point to a reason you might be having trouble. Most of the time that this is done in class, the students are on their knees, sitting totally erect. This is not a normal diving position. Many students are disconcerted by the bubbles streaming up their face (and nose) from their regulators.

In my class, students are floating in a forward lean position, much more like a normal scuba position. This is pretty much the position in which you find yourself in Steve's suggestion. The bubbles from the regulator stream past the cheeks instead of the nose.

This is good advice, and it might possibly point to a reason you might be having trouble. Most of the time that this is done in class, the students are on their knees, sitting totally erect. This is not a normal diving position. Many students are disconcerted by the bubbles streaming up their face (and nose) from their regulators.

In my class, students are floating in a forward lean position, much more like a normal scuba position. This is pretty much the position in which you find yourself in Steve's suggestion. The bubbles from the regulator stream past the cheeks instead of the nose.

i think that is my main problem because the first thing i did was lay on the bottom in 3 foot water with no mask and had no problem. i first had a problem because while on my knees the bubbles were forcefully going up my nose then my instructor had me tilt my head side ways and i felt like the water was going in my nose. thanks for all the tips i realize this is a small problem i just wanted to know if any one had some tricks.

i think that is my main problem because the first thing i did was lay on the bottom in 3 foot water with no mask and had no problem. i first had a problem because while on my knees the bubbles were forcefully going up my nose then my instructor had me tilt my head side ways and i felt like the water was going in my nose. thanks for all the tips i realize this is a small problem i just wanted to know if any one had some tricks.

Next time you try it, ask if you can lean forward with enough air in your BCD so that you are semi-floating, with just your feet and your knees (lightly) touching the floor.

Back
Top Bottom