Remora friend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There I was, shore diving off Scuba Club Cozumel last week, and this lonely remora swam a fast bee line right to me. Man, these guys are genetically programmed to cling. They will not take no for an answer. I wasn't quite sure it wouldn't try some kind of painful attachment so I kept a good eye on him.

I had my new little buddy (Raymundo) with me for the rest of the dive right up until I climbed out. Later another diver reported a strange fish (he had a similar pic) giving him the business.

Anyone ever have a remora cuddle up?

Attachments

• remora.jpg
    remora.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 145
Yes. On the Great Barrier Reef I often had remoras trying to attach themselves, usually somewhere close enough to my crotch to get a reflexive recoil into the fetal position out of me. None ever successfully attached, but they kept me busy shooing them away. On the plus side, it seemed that on dives with remoras there were usually quite a few sharks too.

At the GBR on the Opsrey reef shark feed the remoras were flying everywhere in the frenzy.

They swim over to the divers and size them up. A stern look usually sends them on their way:monkeydance:

Common experience really. I had a barracuda do me that way once tho. :eek: All the way back to boat.

In Fiji last October, I had a remora buddy that attached itself to me on one dive. He stayed with me for a good 30-40 minutes. Fortunately he swam off of his own accord before I started my ascent. I was in a 5mm so didn't feel a thing.

Well, doesn't seem so bad then. I had a 2mm shorty so I was somewhat protected. I'll just ignore the next one.

It's okay until you have to explain a hickey...! :eek:

Ever try to shoo a barracuda tho?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom