Any E-Tec owners ....come talk me off the ledge!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skull

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well the 96 2 stroke Merc 150XL finally gave up the ghost ... so I bought a new Evinrude E-TEC 150HP outboard to replace it ... being installed this week.

Anyone own one ?

Pros and Cons please?

A bit pricey I guess considering ... but not too many good reviews on the OptiMax ..

All the reports I hear are positive.

All I hear is good things also. A good place to post this question would be on thehulltruth.com

Jump!

Oh. Nevermind...

Jump!

Oh. Nevermind...

I already did ... the Hull is 14 yrs old never put on the rocks out here ... Hope I get another 14 yrs out of this motor.

Straight out of the box with new controls and accesories ... Happy birthday to me and my wallet!

If I had to replace my outboard (carbed 2-stroke '97ish Evinrude) it would
be with a 90HP eTec.

What size prop ? w/ 90HP .. I read somewhere that you are partial to 90hp 2 stroke OB.

Mfg of my boat recommends a 150 HP (max for the design is 175 which I feel is too much motor for this boat (201 ProLine Cuddy---fiberglass)) I really liked my Merc but it was a gas hog ...ample top end speed for SoCal fishing , but when I was loaded up with divers w/ doubles she struggled in moderate swells. Very dry ride but reality is it's tough to do more than 22-25 kts while on a fish trip ... 12-15kts w/ 3 divers... ride is just too rough.

Mechanic recommends I try a 17" prop on the new motor ... the old Merc had a 19" ...any suggestions?

Well lads and lasses I got my boat back today .... nice to see my wallet just lost a bit of weight ...course being an el nino yr it is going to be storming all weekend .. right on up till April ....

Who was the moron who said it doesn't rain in SoCal ... surf has been unbelievably good ... for surfers! We divers and boat owners can only gaze out over the surf line and wonder what it would be like to get out on the water again.

Well the 96 2 stroke Merc 150XL finally gave up the ghost ... so I bought a new Evinrude E-TEC 150HP outboard to replace it ... being installed this week.

Anyone own one ?

Pros and Cons please?

A bit pricey I guess considering ... but not too many good reviews on the OptiMax ..
A friend fo mine just bought a 115 hp e-tec. Unfortunately he had to put into winter storage before he even go to run it.

What size prop ? w/ 90HP .. I read somewhere that you are partial to 90hp 2 stroke OB.

Mfg of my boat recommends a 150 HP (max for the design is 175 which I feel is too much motor for this boat (201 ProLine Cuddy---fiberglass)) I really liked my Merc but it was a gas hog ...ample top end speed for SoCal fishing , but when I was loaded up with divers w/ doubles she struggled in moderate swells. Very dry ride but reality is it's tough to do more than 22-25 kts while on a fish trip ... 12-15kts w/ 3 divers... ride is just too rough.

Mechanic recommends I try a 17" prop on the new motor ... the old Merc had a 19" ...any suggestions?

I took a 20ft pro line cuddy for a test ride and was impressed. 3-4footers and we felt it but very doable

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom