After the No-See-Ums bite you... what then?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
After the No-Se-Ums (Sand Flies) have bitten you there are any number of tried remedies including Benadryl Lotion and Cactus Juice.

Until you have tried NASONEX, you don't know the miracle.

Oh man, dab some of this on the spot and Praise the Lord. :cool2: They also make it in an actual skin creme version called Elocon (Elocom, Elomet)

Nothing has worked better. You are going to need a scrip, however.

Take a Anti-histamine it will stop the itching in 20 minutes! Cactus Juice never works for me! I agree about the Benadryl Lotion, also Cortazone Cream works well too! Brand of Anti-histamine is not important!

I just use a good repellant and am often in thicker bush and desolate beach on Roatan than most visitors will ever see and have never needed anti histamine or anti itch anything, prevention is the best option

I am so allergic to no-see-um bites.
I guess these are actually spit drops from the little buggers.
I get huge welts and they burn worse than a lit cigarette touch on my skin for days afterwards if I get hit.
The same goes for the dreaded "Chigger" (I think this is a wood louse).
Skeeters do not seem to like me though.
So Nasonex is worth a try.
I was unaware of the anti-hystamine thing.
Benadryl puts me into dopey la-la land and then to sleep.

Thanks for the tip.

Chug
Hates sand fleas and chiggers.
On the bright side...
I am immune to poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac as near as I can tell.

I was as well until I stood downwind of burning poison ivy. Now I just look at the stuff and whammo.

Nasonex is a powerful corticosteroid. That's how it works... on the bites, too.

I am talking absolutely INSTANT relief.

Awesome! I have a prescription for it and will give it a try in April! :)

What do you do spray in your hand and then spread it around???

Try dribbling it on a Q-Tip and just dab the welt.

I am so allergic to no-see-um bites.
I guess these are actually spit drops from the little buggers.
I get huge welts and they burn worse than a lit cigarette touch on my skin for days afterwards if I get hit.
The same goes for the dreaded "Chigger" (I think this is a wood louse).
Skeeters do not seem to like me though.
So Nasonex is worth a try.
I was unaware of the anti-hystamine thing.
Benadryl puts me into dopey la-la land and then to sleep.

Thanks for the tip.

Chug
Hates sand fleas and chiggers.
On the bright side...

Some of us react much more than others to certain insect bites. I live in "Northern Canada" and reacted dramatically to the black flies here. This does not mean that you are allergic to them, just more sensitive.
The basics are #1 prevention of bites..cover up or use a "bug" spray We all have a favourite mine is Cutter's Advanced although not available in Canada.
#2 Anti histamines are very helpful however do not understand why any one would take benadryl with it's sedative properties. Reactine for example is much more effective without the sedating effects and works much better if taken prophylactly ( before bites) then after. Topical benadryl will give some relief but not that effective after the fact.
#3 Nasonex is a steroid used for allergic rhinitis. It is very effective for that use however is expensive. Any of the topical steroids are effective at relieving histamine reactions from insect bites however theoritically could reduce the body's reaction to a secondary infection as a result of an insect bite. Nasonex is not approved for treatment of insect bites ie: this is an off label use of this medication

I was as well until I stood downwind of burning poison ivy. Now I just look at the stuff and whammo.

Speaking of Poison Ivy, anyone have a miracle cure for contact out in the garden. I'm like RoatanMan, I even sniff it in the air and I can end up in the hospital. Damn Nordic genes of mine have no built in defense. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom