What skills did your instructor model?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*dave*

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
As an instructor, I've always felt that presenting a solid model for the students to follow was part of the job. A big part of that is modeling trim, buoyancy control and efficient finning technique.

This video was shot a few years ago during the third pool session and I use it as a demo of the skills that will be introduced to new students. The instructor is wearing rental gear, just like the students.

Did your instructor model proper trim and buoyancy control during your course? Do you think it's important that they do?

Yes and damned yes!!

First dive, I was trying to dive like my instructor. Still am.

Yes and damned yes!!

First dive, I was trying to dive like my instructor. Still am.

Ditto.

It can be frustrating learning a new skill. It's good to have a role model to show you not only how it's done, but also to show that it can be done.

No, not at all. The first time I saw any of these skills was in my first attempt at Fundies, or video online.

As an instructor, I've always felt that presenting a solid model for the students to follow was part of the job. A big part of that is modeling trim, buoyancy control and efficient finning technique.

This video was shot a few years ago during the third pool session and I use it as a demo of the skills that will be introduced to new students. The instructor is wearing rental gear, just like the students.

I'm a little confused as to what this video was supposed to represent.

If it's that the Instructor had good buoyancy control/trim. Yes.

Meanwhile, was this an actual confined water session where the Instructor was teaching these skills & then having the student perform them to pass that particular module? Or just some play sessions where the Instructor was just wandering around randomly having students perform skills?

My instructor discussed trim and bouyancy and spent additional time on the latter in each of the pool sessions.

Having said that he had no expectation of anyone in the class being able to display either, during the class.

I didn't see what good trim and bouyancy control were until after I was certified, when I first dove with a GUE tech certified diver. I still say this single revelation (seeing a good diver) is what makes fundamentals such an epiphany for many of the people who take it.

I didn't see what good trim and bouyancy control were until after I was certified, when I first dove with a GUE tech certified diver. I still say this single revelation (seeing a good diver) is what makes fundamentals such an epiphany for many of the people who take it.

Amazingly true!!!!

I'm a little confused as to what this video was supposed to represent.
This video was shot a few years ago during the third pool session and I use it as a demo of the skills that will be introduced to new students.
In the context of this thread, it's intended to show an instructor who is not teaching from their knees and is modeling good trim and buoyancy control. Sorry for the confusion, I thought that was clear.

Meanwhile, was this an actual confined water session where the Instructor was teaching these skills & then having the student perform them to pass that particular module? Or just some play sessions where the Instructor was just wandering around randomly having students perform skills?

All skills displayed in the video would have been introduced in the previous pools session, I don't do modules. Each pools session starts with skills reviewed shallow and again deep. The video would be the deep review.

Why do you ask?

Did your instructor model proper trim and buoyancy control during your course? Do you think it's important that they do?

Yes. He was excellent. I remember looking at him at trying to emulate him. My Dad took OW with me, and had been diving before uncertified, and looked nothing like the instructor.

I DO model proper buoyancy and trim in my OW classes. My classes are usually 4 or 5 students with a certified assistant. There is LOTS of time to have them be horizontal, neutrally buoyant, and finning properly in the time I have in the pool. After we finish required skills I have everyone ascend, give a reminder to watch me & assistant, noone touch the bottom of the pool anymore, and swim horizontally. If they are told what I expect they will do it. My last class has 4 really natural, fit young people with great attitudes. I went home smiling, they made my job easy.

No, he did not. Not my OW Instructor. I did not see skills like that until my Technical training.

I am grateful for instructors that demonstrate skill even in OW. I think it is very important that these skills be shown as early as possible.

For some reason I can not "Thank" this post. So I will Thank you with words for this helpful post.

Back
Top Bottom