how to replace an octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flofish94

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone, I need some advice.

I have a 1st stage Aqualung Legend regulator with a second stage and an octopus attatched. I would like to replace the octopus with a newer one that I recently purchased. What tool do I need to remove the older octopus, take it out then put on the newer one. Can I do this at home or do I have to bring them to the shop. I don't want pay $80.00 for something simple that I can do at home but the shop would do the same and charge me an arm and leg for it.

Thanks.

You should just need a crescent wrench to loosen the hose from the octo into the first stage and then un-screw it by hand and put the new one in finger tight plus a little.

Last edited:
Yeah crescent wrench, and there are threads here telling you how tight to make it. From what I've been reading, it's finger tight and then a slight tug with the wrench. Too tight will hurt it...you want the o-ring to seal, not the metal.

If you bought the new octo at a local dive shop, someone at the shop should be willing to swap it out with your old one for free. This should be considered one of the customer service perks of buying dive gear locally. If the shop insists on charging for such a service, then I would never patronize that shop again.

If you bought the new octo online, then obviously a local dive shop that didn't sell you the gear is under no obligation to provide you with free installation service.

I'm assuming that your new octo already has a low pressure reg hose attached to it. This simplifies installation.

Yes, you can do this installation at home with an appropriately sized wrench (or a good-quality adjustable). If the previous octo was installed correctly, it should take very little effort to unscrew the hose. Use a wrench to loosen it and then unscrew it the rest of the way by hand. Take the new octo + hose. Make sure that the appropriately sized o-ring is on the first stage end of the hose. Some people advocate lubing the o-ring with the right kind of silicone grease or spit. Others don't even bother lubricating it. Screw the end into the first stage hand-tight. Snug it up a little with your wrench. That's it. Don't over-tighten the union.

This is something that is better done by you rather than the shop IMO. Just follow the advice given above. You should be able to swap out hoses and regulators yourself.

Adam

I use a flared nut wrench to prevent marred fittings versus a crescent wrench.
Search results for: 'flared wrench'

They may be too fat in some instances, so I would just use the correct size combination wrench rather than a crescent wrench.

Never change your own hoses, unless you have the skills necessary to change a light bulb!

Righty tighty. LEfty Loosey.

If you bought the new octo at a local dive shop, someone at the shop should be willing to swap it out with your old one for free. This should be considered one of the customer service perks of buying dive gear locally. If the shop insists on charging for such a service, then I would never patronize that shop again.

If you bought the new octo online, then obviously a local dive shop that didn't sell you the gear is under no obligation to provide you with free installation service.

I'm assuming that your new octo already has a low pressure reg hose attached to it. This simplifies installation.

Yes, you can do this installation at home with an appropriately sized wrench (or a good-quality adjustable). If the previous octo was installed correctly, it should take very little effort to unscrew the hose. Use a wrench to loosen it and then unscrew it the rest of the way by hand. Take the new octo + hose. Make sure that the appropriately sized o-ring is on the first stage end of the hose. Some people advocate lubing the o-ring with the right kind of silicone grease or spit. Others don't even bother lubricating it. Screw the end into the first stage hand-tight. Snug it up a little with your wrench. That's it. Don't over-tighten the union.

Excellent advice here; but if you are just replacing the second stage and not the hose, please remember to use a backup wrench. NEVER just un-torque or re-torque a hose end to a plastic second stage or hp gauge without using a backup wrench. Rather than me attempting to explain it, have a look at a manual at this site, quickly read thru and look at the pictures and diagrams and you will get the idea. Dive Rite RG1200 Regulator Manual - Page %CURPAGENUM% of %LASTPAGENUM%

Scroll down to page 24 for a picture of someone using a backup wrench on a plastic second stage.

Couv

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. I will follow your advice and do it myself. This board is great. Cheers!

Righty tighty. LEfty Loosey.

Unless it's upside down :)

Never ever by any circumstaces use an adjustible wrench. They are used by butchers and hacks. Some mining sites and oil rigs go as far as banning these items on site due to the damage they cause. Don't be lazy and get a spanner the correct size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom