U.S Divers Aqua Lung Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wee_wee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have and older U.S Divers Aqua Lung Regulator and I am just trying to get information on it I dont plan to use it but just wondering what I realy have. Thankyou and there are more pics at my facebook in the mobil album. Just search my name Brandon Wheeler and my pic is me Under water in my dive gear. Thank you.

Attachments

• reg 007.jpg
    reg 007.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 463
  • reg 006.jpg
    reg 006.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 312
  • reg 005.jpg
    reg 005.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 235
Looks like a Conshelf XII, made from 1972-1976, but you photos are blurry. From the one of the 1st stage and the number of ports I'd say it is early 70's say about 72-74. Look for the serial numbers on the 1st and 2nd stages it should read something like 74-12345. The first 2 numbers are the year of manufacturer.

Nothing wrong with the reg and parts are readily available and rebuilding it is easy. Internally, the 1st stages uses many of the same parts used in USD regulators from the late 60's up to the 2000's.

The first stage rebuild kit is Aqua Lung part number PN 900001 which is used for the 1st stages for the Conself XII, XIV, 20, 21, 22, SE2, SE3, and the Titan so if you take it to a LDS that says they can't get parts for it anymore you can call them jerks and know its time to go to another knowledgeable, or honest, dive shop.

That is a very nice Aqualung Conshelf XII. A very durable, reliable regulator. I have one that I still use.

Thanks for the info I looked on the 1st stage and the serial number is 680561 and on the 2nd stage it says 714395 so does that mean the 1st stage was made in in '68 and the 2nd stage was made in '71. Thanks

Just in case you haven't done the math, this reg could be 38 years old and is still fully functional by today's diving standards. In fact the Conshef 14 in which is essentially the same with an added extra LP port and a slightly different exhaust T is still in use by the US Navy, and it was the most expensive reg listed in the Aqualung catalog 2 years ago at over $800 MSRP.
So get it rebuilt and dive it for another 38 years, you can bet the plastic fantastics you and the rest of the guys on the boat are using wont last that long.

I was given a Aqualung tank, BC and Conshelf XII regulator from a friend who found it when cleaning out his fathers sailboat he kept in the Keys. His dad had used the rig and put it away wet and it sat in the lazerette hatch for over 10 years. The regulator was seized to the tank valve. I used a pipe wrench and hammer to break it loose. I then put the regulator on a full tank and it worked, not well but it did work. I did a complete rebuild and I now use this regulator. I now have a great appreciation for the design and quality of the Conshelf XII.

Thanks for the info I looked on the 1st stage and the serial number is 680561 and on the 2nd stage it says 714395 so does that mean the 1st stage was made in in '68 and the 2nd stage was made in '71. Thanks

Not likely, but it could be that in 72 or 73 they were not yet using the XX-XXXXX convention.

The serial number on the 2nd stage should be between the mouth piece stem and the exhaust T. The early XII's had one HP port and 2 Low pressure ports on the 1st stage. The later ones added a 3rd LP port.

Get that puppy serviced and dive it. I have several Conshelfs amd they are great regs. The only thing about the older Conshelfs is that they only have 2 LP ports. You can put an inflator hose on them but not an octo. However, you can get a 3 port swivel adapter to add LP ports and that problem goes away. My oldest son used his Conshelf XI (with a 3 port adapter) for his OW training and loves it. He now has a Conshelf 22 but still has his Conshelf XI as a backup.

I prefer the 2 LP ports on my Conshelf with the 3 port swivel that I've had since February 1976 because the hoses route easily horizontally two to each side. The angles of the 3 LP port body don't route the hoses quite as nicely. The diaphragm 1st stage is a workhorse with no moving parts exposed to the water, silt, salt, etc. which also works well with a silicone cap if you need to keep it from freezing when you take it ice diving. Maintenance is very simple and parts are still available.

Both of my regs are vintage Conshelf's. Haven't found a reason yet to "upgrade", and probably never will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom