defog a scuba mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vfa

Registered
Reaction score
i heard that the best way to defog a mask is to brun the inside lens. (apparently it burns all the crud away) i did this. besides i smelling a little burnt for the first time, it didnt fog up on me in neither salt nor fresh water

vfa once bubbled...
i heard that the best way to defog a mask is to brun the inside lens. (apparently it burns all the crud away) i did this. besides i smelling a little burnt for the first time, it didnt fog up on me in neither salt nor fresh water

Ill stick to the toothpaste method. I dont think i could take a lighter to a brand new mask.

:flame:

For what masks cost I would be too scared that I would catch my mask on fire or myself on fire for that matter. BTW what did you use to burn the inside of the mask? How many dives do you have on it? I would be interested to know how such a treatment holds up, if only to know. For now I'll stick with the "Minty Fresh" method.

Jambi

btw that was my 15 year old son, also my dive buddy experimenting!

"thank you for your support"
bartles and james

V

Every new mask has some evil stuff adhering to the lens. Don't know what it is but toothpaste, detergent, potato peel, tobacco juice, Windex, spit and/or Ensolv won't dent it. My last new mask required 7 cleanings with most of that stuff before it became fog resistant. No single brew worked and the improvement was gradual. What is this 'gold' stuff? Flaming it? Never occurred to me but the stuff on the lens is probably a hydrocarbon; yet, Ensolv a powerful degreaser certified for O2 equipment use, would not do it.

All wal-mart vision centers carry this eye glass cleaner (free refills) that comes with a microfilm cloth. I recently used this on my new mask after I had washed it seven times with toothpaste. This stuff worked great and I have not had the mask fog up since. The stuff is also great for cleaning the mask of any crud that gets on the lenses.

All wal-mart vision centers carry this eye glass cleaner (free refills) that comes with a microfilm cloth. I recently used this on my new mask after I had washed it seven times with toothpaste and still it fogged. This stuff worked great and I have not had the mask fog up since. The stuff is also great for cleaning the mask of any crud that gets on the lenses.

I was going to post my own thread about this topic but just decided to add to this one. my new mask is driving me Nutz i cant go one minute without defogging my mask under water and it really takes a lot of time out of the dive doing this every minute or so. i thought maybe my body temp is so high that the cooler water outside my mask was causing this. of course I'm using defogger solution before every dive but no differance. then i thought that maybe my new mask was to close to my face and maybe i need to get a bigger mask like one of those round ones ?. I have cleaned my mask with cleaner, but never used toothpaste or burning it( I just dont know if i want to put flames to my new 89.00 mask) does anybody have a sure fire cure for this problem (maybe i shouldnt use the word FIRE here) ?

GotAir once bubbled...
my new mask is driving me Nutz i cant go one minute without defogging my mask under water and it really takes a lot of time out of the dive doing this every minute or so.

. I have cleaned my mask with cleaner, but never used toothpaste ........ ?
Ummmmm. Why don't you try cleaning it with toothpaste? That's pretty much the standard advice for getting rid of the mold release coatings or whatever it is that makes new masks fog so readily.

If you have some sort of conscientious objection to toothpaste, then try a 50/50 mixture of alcohol and J&J baby shampoo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom