Best fins for Drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoopa

Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to get my gear figured out and was wondering about fins to work with a drysuit.... I was originally looking at the scuba pro seawings--- but saw a few people talk about how they used a heavier fin with their drysuit.. Would the seawings not be a good choice to use with a drysuit?

An important consideration when selecting fins for a drysuit diver is whether the foot pockets on the fins fit the diver's footwear.
A secondary consideration is whether the fins are negatively/positively buoyant and promote proper static horizontal trim.
Obviously, the diver also has to be happy with the amount of propulsion that the fin provides (power) and whether it allows him to do all of the kicks he intends to do...without causing any pain/discomfort.

If you're wearing drysuit rockboots with a bulky forefoot, that's going to limit your fin choices considerably.
Common drysuit fin choices which feature a large foot pocket include: Scubapro Jet fins, XS Scuba Turtle fins, Hollis F1s, OMS Slipstreams, etc.

Im looking at bare trek boots.. I have read that the sp-seawings have positive buoyancy... Which i would think would not be a good thing for dry suits.. I have read some good things about the hollis f1's...

I own Bare Trek boots. The forefoot of the Trek boots is quite bulky. I have and like the XS Scuba Turtle fins, although they are "floppier" than Jet fins.
If I had to purchase a brand new fin today, I'd probably go with the Hollis F1. Take your drysuit boot into the store and make sure that the fin foot pocket fits the boot. Better yet, do an in-water demo with the fins.

Good luck...

When I switched from wet to dry, I was amazed at how much the buoyancy of the fins / lower legs effected my trim and comfort. Overall the d/s buoyancy was not hard to adjust for, even the dreaded inverted ascent was easy and at 3-4 dives I was tuned in on the basics. However, it required 10-12 dives and gear adjustments to get my feet neutral. I finally ended up with gators to reduce the air in the lower legs since I had OMS Slipstreams (XXXL) which are pretty light, removed a tank band weight I used for wet and dropped my weight hardness 2 inches. In hindsight, some heavy Jets might have been a simpler solution (Yes, I own ankle weights, I use them in the proper location, my tank neck). If you can, borrow some fins to see how they work with your trim before you buy.

Well the f1's are the same weight as the sp jets... Sounds like the weight is a good thing... Thinking i should scratch off the seawings and look at a heavier fin(f1's or jet fins)

I use Slipstreams wet or dry, although I keep thinking I should give the Jets another try with the dry suit. I was trying to go head down in doubles dry, but I fixed that with a tail weight instead of heavier fins.

Well my hope that the since f1's are a bit longer with a bit more thrust-- would allow me to keep up with my buddies in "faster" fins.. But since they weigh the same as the jets--- id have good buoyancy too.. A 2-fer lol..

Well my hope that the since f1's are a bit longer with a bit more thrust-- would allow me to keep up with my buddies in "faster" fins.. But since they weigh the same as the jets--- id have good buoyancy too.. A 2-fer lol..
Meh. Where's the fire? You shouldn't have to choose fins that help you "keep up" with buddies. Convince your buddies to slow down. I guarantee you guys will see more this way.

Here in San Diego, my buddies and I like to dive slowly. Sometimes we'll find ourselves working a 20-30 ft. square patch of sand for 30-45 minutes. As I've gained more dive experience, I've found that I move slower through the water and spend a lot of time hovering. Aquatic critters aren't always running away from me. I'm an interested observer watching the animals go about their business and hopefully I'm not disrupting their routines too much. I've seen my bottom times increase, my RMV has decreased, and my UW photos have gotten much better. :D

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the F1s. Well-designed fins.

+1 on all you said Bubbletrubble... I agree.. I like to dive slow and im not really worried about the speed they go... I was actually more worried about a strong current and needing more ommph/speed to be able to get back to the boat etc.. But im a big boy-- 6'2" 230=== ill just have to kick those F1's a bit harder lol..

Back
Top Bottom