Anilao on the CHEAP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orenbvip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to do Anilao (rather than Lembeh) on the cheap Jan or Feb for 1-2weeks, my budget is around $70-90 a day with 2 dives all included. Is this possible? Or should I just head to Lembeh? Any tips on info is greatly appreciated! -Oren

That will be more than enough for Anilao. You should consider other sites in the Philippines like PG since 1-2 weeks is a bit long to stay in Anilao.

Might be tight finding something in that price range. You can look at Two Fish Divers, maybe a couple of others. Factoring in air fare to Manado is also a consideration. I think Lembeh is great though.
Not stayed in Anilao in this price range, but should be doable. Check Arthur's Place and others. The diving here is fantastic for small stuff, esp. nudibranch.
Advantage of Anilao is that Bunaken is close, and offers a totally different kind of diving. Another Two Fish there, where I have stayed, plus another of others affordable.

Puerto Galera is good, though Anilao is better, I think. I do like it though, because it isn't isolated from everything like Alona. Number of places here to stay and dive. I think Searider SEARIDERDIVECENTER.COM | THE BACK PACKER CHOICE is great. Personal attention, no crowds, no silly rules. Prices are hard to beat. Not a "resort", they can arrange rooms to fit budget. On Small LaLaguna Beach, a short stroll from the main part of Sabang. Much more low key here.

My, suggestion, for one week, stay one place, for two weeks, one or two places only. Plenty to see. I like to stay 2 weeks or so before going somewhere else. Can dive same site repeatedly, and still find new things.

From travel perspective, it's a bitch getting to Lembeh, whereas Manila is a piece of cake to do.

Right now, planning long trip for May-July, Puerto Galera, Anilao, etc.

Came from Puerto Galera for 5 days; dived with Sea Rider. No one can beat his rates and am very happy with his service. But don't entertain the complaints against him from the other dive shops who normally cater to Euro or Dollar rich guests who charge double. Stayed at an inn near the shop. 2 dives, room, and food can fit your budget.

In Anilao, I stay at Planet Dive and once again will fit your budget.

Anilao diving has a lot of 'hidden' costs.

Firstly, transport infrastructure to get there sucks. Resorts don't offer discounted pick-ups, so you've got the option of hiring a private car ($100 each way!) or being adventurous and jumping on a public bus from Manila... then onto a jeepney.... then onto a trike... Allot a 1/2 day to get there by public transport and don't bring any heavy/bulky bags..

Secondly, most resorts there advertise a price for shore diving. They all have decent shore dives, but even the best of these will grow stale over a week. To really get the best out of Anilao, you need the option of boat trips to visit the full spectrum of sites (secret bay, mainit point etc being 'must do'). However, many of the resorts are pretty dead during the week - catering primarily to the Manila 'weekend diving crowds'. They also charge a set-price for boat trips that is divided between the passengers. If you are the only person (or one of a few) that is staying at the resort, then your boat trips can be ridiculously expensive (circa 4000php per dive extra cost).

Anilao diving has a lot of 'hidden' costs.
They also charge a set-price for boat trips that is divided between the passengers. If you are the only person (or one of a few) that is staying at the resort, then your boat trips can be ridiculously expensive (circa 4000php per dive extra cost).
what DevonDiver says is so true. An example of hidden costs in anilao, using Aquaventure resort would be, charging for tanks, weights by the pound, resort fee (about $10US a day), DM fee is also split among everyone and during the week you are usually the only one around so the full cost goes to you. AC is an extra $6-8US night.
Planet dive has shore diving right out in front at twin rocks.
Cheap would be San Jose Dive Camp, very budget almost backpack style.
The usual routine is a 2-tank morning dive, with SI on a beach, no snacks or drinks (bring your own), if you want to go a bit further out to say Sombero Island or Tinloy it is extra.
Puerto Galera, a place like marksearider in small lalaguna is one price for tanks/weights included as with the boat and DM. One person same price as six. SI back at the shop with coffee/tea/water. In Puerto you have a wide range of options for staying, anywhere from $15-20 night to 30-50 or $100plus a night. Plus more eating and drinking places to walk to.
Have fun.

Anilao offers better diving conditions than PG.
The viz has gone from poor to bad over last several yrs. Even the "fresh" water(flood tide) didn't seem to improve it. Too much development, the river kept bursting its bank in Calapan etc etc???? Sooner or later every dive would be charged as night dive as light is absolutely essential!!!!!!
The pricing at Anilao is a joke. I certainly won't dive Anilao on my own because of that. For what ever reason(s), most resorts seem very unwilling to direct you the economy route other than suggesting private transfer!!!

I am not sure if Jan/Feb is the right time to dive Lembeh.

Because I'm a nice guy, I can offer you a ride from Manila to Anilao; I go every Saturday. You can remain there for a week or two and hitch a ride back with me. If you choose Planet where I stay, I can help you with the arrangements. Normally on weekends you can join a group of divers for the boat dive but on weekdays you might end up paying more. I'd say 2 boat dives with safety diver will cost you $95.

Arthur's at Anilao wasn't what I consider good value at all. I actually thought that for what we got it was ridiculously overpriced.
Lembeh offers much better value with a greater choice of operators and superior diving.

Even getting there has hidden costs if you fly Cebu Air. The advertised sale prices looked great, but our tickets were more than doubled with added on fees by the time I got to the purchase button.

If you go, make sure that you have in writing what the package includes ie: are snacks, coffee/tea, towels, bottled water in the room provided and included in the package price.
Plan to pay in pesos so that you can avoid their "% du jour" on credit card (I heard they accept cc now but didn't when we were there) and Paypal fees!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom